deadheading schizanthus question

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat deadheading schizanthus question

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Just Mari 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Just Mari
    Participant

My first time ever growing these beauties & they are flowering profusely but now I am wondering how to deadhead them.  Should I cut off the entire flowering stalk or do I pinch off each tiny blossom base one by one. I sure do hope it’s not the latter – how tedious would that be!

And when I do deadhead them will come back into blossom, won’t they?

removed gobbly gook

#5264781 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I was afraid to cut off the stalk and now I have nothing. This was my first year with them. I was disappointed that the blooms although pretty, were quite small. I wish I had tried cutting them back by the stalk but I don’t know if that’s the answer either.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5264789 Report Abuse

Just Mari
    Participant

My blooms are large – each one well over 1 1/4 inch.  So, Sunshine, you did not cut the stalk and now you have nothing?  Is that what you are saying? I will be so disappointed if I end up with no blooms as  on my deck I have an antique kitchen shelving unit full of mostly schizanthus. 

removed gobbly gook

#5264845 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I am also experimenting with Schizanthus for the 1st time this year.  When it was too late, I rad that they are supposed to be nipped back several times before going in to their final home.  Some I cut the stalk and others I did the tedious nipping off of the buds.  None of them are looking so good right now,  Sorry I can’t be more helpful.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5264854 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Mine was supposed to be the cascading type for baskets.  It grew straight up & was really straggly looking, so didn’t work out too well.  I wasn’t impressed with the blooms either so I gave up & replaced it with something else.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5264857 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Yes, I have nothing. I did not try cutting the stalk and I’m just wondering if I should have tried that.

I was hoping someone would respond with the correct answer. It doesn’t look like Charlene and Gayle didn’t have much luck either. Yours dont sound like they are the same variety. The blooms on mine are tiny.

I tried to google an answer to this and couldn’t find anything. I did see there are different varieties.

I hope you continue with success.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5264994 Report Abuse

Just Mari
    Participant

It just goes to show one should never put their eggs on 1 basket . . . or schizanthus in 1 pot, in this case. 

Sunny, I bought them as bedding plants and there was little info on the tag.  

removed gobbly gook

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.