Dahlia planting

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Dahlia planting

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

pkh
    Participant

Help- I planted dahlia tubers for the first time ever. Planted 1st week of April in central NM and followed directions on depth from nursery papers. Nothing has ever come up. Could the tubers have frozen?  Did have some temperatures in the 30′s in April. When should tubers be planted or zone 7 (New Mexico)?

#5149707 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

I’m sorry, I’m not familiar with planting in zone 7 but I also plant dahlias here in zone 5.  It sounds like you have lost those first dahlias.  I don’t believe they would have frozen with the temps you stated but something certainly happened to them.  Were they showing new sprouts when you planted them?  If they weren’t showing sprouts, they could have already been dead.  My Dad always told me that dahlia roots not showing sprouts were unlikely to grow.

#5149709 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I am from zone 4 so it is hard for me to give you instructions on when to plant them there, but I they certainly should be up by now.  I planted some here last week and they are up already. I doubt that temps in the 30s would have froze them since they were in the ground.  My guess is that you have bad bulbs.  Where did you get them?  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.