Creative bird feeders

Home Forums Birding Feeding Birds Creative bird feeders

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by dzyg dzyg 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    WayesHomeAccessory
    WayesHomeAccessory
    Participant

I must say, I have seen some of the most creative bird feeders and bird houses out there! I have always wondered though, does using a bird feeder that has any particular color or pattern increase the amount or type of birds that you can attract? Just a thought :)

Waye's Home Accessory Superstore

#5131439 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Hi Wayes .. heck I use anything for a feeder. Right now I am using baskets from Goodwill… and found a double basket to put out for Easter. 

I have used so many different types… hubby made all my jelly feeders for me for the orioles… his own designs.   I have made feeders out of tv dinner trays… wash pans, dishes, fancy dishes,  anything and everything… the more the merrier..

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5131466 Report Abuse
    WayesHomeAccessory
    WayesHomeAccessory
    Participant

Those ideas are very creative for attratcting birds!
    Especially the baskests from Goodwill. The wicker from the baskets will help to provide a more natural like setting for nesting.

#5131473 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Yes, Waynes there are so many pretty feeders out there….The squirrels just love them.  That’s the problem.  It’s the feeders that keep these critters away that I like.  Otherwise the birds get only the crumbs so to speak.  It’s a daily battle.

I tried something different this year.  I have a rectangular flower box that is attached to the deck (fence).  I just kept sprinkling nyger all winter…even now.  I have never had so many birds at one time feed like they did on this flower box.  It was so easy for them.  Sure occasionally the juncos bullied the goldfinches.  In the end, everyone stuffed themselves.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5131486 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I have mostly metal locking feeders for suet and spring controlled metal feeders for birdseed.  So that controls the weight of birds feeding and the squirrels on the perches closes the seed of so they can’t feed.  The squirrels quite often slide off the top of the metal roof tops of the feeders especially if they are wet or snow covered they are all the more slippery.  I have 2 tray feeders and sometimes the squirrels will manage to get on those.  I have trouble with grackles and starlings going after birdseed every chance they get this time of year.

#5131539 Report Abuse
    WayesHomeAccessory
    WayesHomeAccessory
    Participant

I like your idea of controlled spring metal locking bird feeders! It is indeed a clever way to keep the squirrels out of the bird feed. http://wayeshomeaccessories.weebly.com/bird-feeders-and-bird-houses.html

#5133049 Report Abuse
    dzyg
    dzyg
    Participant

I collected two tree stumps when a park where I work at cleared some trees on the edge of the woods path. I put them in a big flower pot on my deck and then put peanuts on them. Works awesome!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.