Cornell Lab of Ornithology's Great Backyard Bird Count begins (2014 Feb 14-17)

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As Cornell Lab of Ornithology's Great Backyard Bird Count begins (2014 Feb 14-17)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Junior Barnes Junior Barnes 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dsp
    dsp
    Participant

Just wanted to make sure that everyone who is interested knows that Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s Great Backyard Bird Count began this morning.  It will be held Feb 14 – 17 this year.  Info is at http://gbbc.birdcount.org/.

Find more about Weather in Huntsville, AL

#5068036 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I have my first day all done… ready to enter… I love doing this and then seeing how many birds and how many different birds get recorded…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5068228 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

Wasnt able to do today but definitely,  Sat and Sun.  One thing I did notice, they have a phone/tablet app that I downloaded and had all kinds of problems with it so, I am sticking with the internet site and not the app….

#5068444 Report Abuse
    dsp
    dsp
    Participant

That’s great that you had your first day all done, CatsBirds!  I spent more time than I should have watching the birds today …but the GBBC is special!  I plan to do at least one bird watch Sat and Sun as well.

I do an eBird report every day throughout the year, with photos and comments …and then copy/paste it into my blog as a daily birding journal.  It gives me a nice record of the year and of how much the birds’ plumage changes through the year.

Dena, thanks for the heads-up!  I had noticed their app and wondered if it was worth downloading.  I have so many apps that I need to weed some out rather than keeping on adding more and more!

Find more about Weather in Huntsville, AL

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by dsp dsp.
    #5068479 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Good that you reminded us dsp. I haven’t ever had a good chance to do the bird count but if I live long enough to one day retire and hopefully have  a little free time then I will take part in it.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5070858 Report Abuse
    Paleface
    Paleface
    Participant

It is kinda sad that not many birders here participate in this great birding event. You can count in segments of 15 minutes. This data really helps Cornell in their bird studies. What would we do if we had no birds….to cheer us up? 

I had to work my usual 10 hrs yesterday. But got to do a decent count today. Added 3 new birds compared to my previous counts (4 years). Will do another count tomorrow but not on Monday….back to work. 

Thanks dsp for the post.  Steve….If I can work and count….so can you! :)

http://jean-livingsimple.blogspot.com (The Joy of Bird Watching and Living a Simple Life)
    Jean in NW Georgia

#5073569 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

I wouldn’t have if I hadn’t seen this reminder! I have every day so far. Added the horned lark to my life list today (actually I have seen them by the roadside every year but never got out the binoculars to identify them until now).

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.