Copper feeder

Home Forums Birding Feeding Birds Copper feeder

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Posynut_NY_zone4 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

CJR
    Participant

I have a tube feeder with copper top and bottom.  Designed for thistle feeding although small seeds will also work.  I have tried several locations, and have not even seen a bird perch on it.  I have other feeders that are busy but not this one.  Any clues?

#5149788 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Hi CJR… welcome to the forums… as for the feeder , it is new, it is in one of their feeding spots that they didn’t have before.  Give it some time…. if you don’t see them using it at all.. take it back to the store..lolol, no kidding.. I have one that the birds wouldn’t touch.  My son gave it to me because nothing would use it at his house… well it is now gone… nothing would use it…and it is a great feeder.

I don’t know if the birds don’t like the perches, or the feeding stations.. might be the color, who knows…but like I said if they don’t use, try another one…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5149805 Report Abuse

CJR
    Participant

Thanks…good to know that there really are feeders birds just don’t like for some reason. I have had it over a year, tried it at my home (suburban) and my weekend place (rural/riverfront) with no success at all. I read a couple of posts on lowes website about people drilling out the holes – I’m considering that. It was a gift so I realllly want to use it if I can.

#5149809 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

That might be a good idea.. drill out a couple of the holes, maybe big enough for some sunflower seed… can’t hurt if they don’t or won’t use it..

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5149830 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Welcome to the birding forum CJR.  I was just wondering if the copper is too shiny/bright or does it get very hot.  Have you tried to place the feeder in a shady area?  It’s just a thought.  Yes, Sharon is right about certain feeders.  Birds are funny that way.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5152080 Report Abuse

I have one of those feeders and now it sits in my shed collecting dust. I have tried it repeatedly, with now success. If it sits too long, the Nyjer (thistle) will go bad, as it is a soft shelled seed.

I am now sticking with the socks.

I even placed it next to the sock so the birds get used to it and notice the food within. Still no go.

Nice idea that doesn’t work for me.

Welcome aboard.

Ron

http://www.gardening-for-wildlife.com

#5153761 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I have a copper suet feeder but it is used by the birds and woodpeckers.  It has a copper roof, but it doesn’t get hot from the sun as the wind blows a lot here and if it is hanging under tree it is a bit shaded from leaves.

I don’t use nyjer seed.  I buy the mix of seed with a bit of nyjer throughout and it is called finch seed on the bag.  The finches like it and it doesn’t spoil like nyjer seed does.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.