Coleslaw….would like a simple recipe!

Home Forums Backyard Chat Food Coleslaw….would like a simple recipe!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by MountainMan MountainMan 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    margba
    margba
    Participant

<b>Been hankering for some lately!  Do you add mini marshmellows to yours?  I dont really like them added but it’s ok w/ them!</b>

#4816649 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Never heard of marshmallows in Cole Slaw

I just use shredded cabbage, mayo, salt & pepper.  Sometimes a dash of sugar.

Cant get much simpler than that.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4816687 Report Abuse
    Paleface
    Paleface
    Participant

<b>Chopped Cabbage, mayo, sweet pickle relish (I use sugar free), pepper and salt to taste. </b> Easy and Yummy. :D

http://jean-livingsimple.blogspot.com (The Joy of Bird Watching and Living a Simple Life)
    Jean in NW Georgia

#4816852 Report Abuse
    birdbug
    birdbug
    Participant

Hey Marg,

I’ve tried this recipe for KFC coleslaw (which I love) and it was great. I did cheat though and bought a bag of shredded cabbage with carrots and used the food processor to chop it real fine.

Not sure where I found this recipe…could have even been here on BYC, not sure.

Good luck…hope you like it if you try it.

Hugs

===================================================

KFC Coleslaw
    8 cups shredded cabbage
    1/4 cup shredded carrot
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup mayonaise
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    1 1/2 Tbls.white vinegar
    2 1/2 Tbls.lemon juice

Combine cabbage and carrots in large bowl.Mix remaining ingredients together and combine thoroughly.Pour liquid ingredients over cabbage and carrots and mix well.

Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving ( overnight is better )Stir well before serving

Mary Ann (Birdbug)

#4863112 Report Abuse
    jcolbert40
    jcolbert40
    Participant

I make it pretty much the same as MaryAnn, but I do like onion and celery in mine.  If you lke blue cheese, put some in when you are mixing it up.  Sounds odd, but it is really good.

My name photo Myname.gif

#4863359 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

The absolute easiest way is to buy the cole slaw mix in the produce department and add cole slaw dressing.  I like to add sweet pickle relish and minced onions as well.  Never heard of putting marshmallows in cole slaw.  I don’t think I would like it that way.

Community Team Member

#5004770 Report Abuse
    jcolbert40
    jcolbert40
    Participant

I vote no on marshmallows, too  I just don’t like them in general.  I have had cabbage salad with pineapple tidbits in,  but i don’t call that cole slaw.  There is cole slaw and there is cabbage salad…not the same thng.

My name photo Myname.gif

#5028892 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

i LOVE Chic-Fil-A’s coleslaw and I found a copycat recipe for it (and yes I use the food processor to grind it up). May not be simple enough for what your wanting but it sure is delicious and now I want some dipped up on crackers. LOL

CHICK FIL A COLESLAW

Ingredients
    1 head cabbage, finely chopped
    1 small carrots, finely chopped
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 tablespoon pepper
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    2 tablespoons lemon juice

Directions
    To make the dressing: mix everything together except the cabbage and carrots. Mix dressing with cabbage and carrots.

#5097169 Report Abuse

OhioLilacLady
    Participant

DD figured out a quick and easy last minute recipe for cole slaw .

Grated cabbage

Carrots (if desired)

Onion or onion salt

Sweet and Sour bottled salad dressing (any brand)

Always good in a pinch ~~~~

#5099147 Report Abuse

Just Mari
    Participant

Mine is simple and by the seat of my pants!

Shred cabbage. Chop celery, green pepper and onion real find. (Not a whole bunch, just enough for flavor) Dressing is mayo thinned with a bit of milk, a dash of lemon juice and a good shake of lemon pepper. Combine dressing ingredients, pour over cabbage, stir & you’re done. That’s it.

removed gobbly gook

#5099976 Report Abuse
    MountainMan
    MountainMan
    Participant

Pineapple tidbits can be good in cole slaw, too. I buy the packaged slaw and add a dressing from the grocery store. I just can’t stand the smell of the dressing, but my family likes it so I plug my nose, and stir. I used to add pineapple tidbits, and sometimes mini marshmallows, but haven’t done that in a long time.

I think I would like a sweet dressing without vinegar in it, but the one I buy is quick and easy. Does anyone have a sweet dressing recipe for cole slaw?

photo CharmBraceletfromTZ_zps73c91e34.gif

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.