Cleaning of birds feeding areas

Home Forums Birding Feeding Birds Cleaning of birds feeding areas

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Chazzee 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Chazzee
    Participant

Aloha! :-) I have set up a large feeding area for the birds which includes: Franklins, Doves, Sparrows, Java Finches, Cardinals, Mynahs, and Love Bird Parrots who was released from an aviary and now thrives in Maui. I just want to know how to keep the area clean. It has been overwhelming with the Love Birds.  They have many babies and eat a lot! My grassy area is no longer there, and my husband is getting a little upset about it.  When I rake it up, could I use it in my plants?  And, how do I get my grassy area back?  Thanks!  I need help!

#5098428 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I’m hoping someone will have a good answer….I sure don’t.   When I first began to use only BOSS, the shells would fall underneath the feeder….well around it.  I found that they did not turn into compost.  Plus I noticed that the plants that grew in that area did not do well.  I raked what I could, the soil looked nice and black, but I don’t think very good.  I would have thought that whatever oil was left on the shell would be good for the soil…apparently not.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5098474 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Not sure what kind of seed your feeding your birds but I’m going to guess sunflower seeds. Your probably not going to have a lot of grass growing under the feeders. My feeders are in the back yard and I don’t care if theres not a lot of grass growing under them. As for cleaning under them I’ve found the easiest way is to take my blower and blow the shells away. Thats about the only cleaning under my feeders I do.

Oh BTW we’d love to see some of your bird pictures if you have any. Sounds like you would have lots of birds most of us never get to see.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5098633 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

My back yard is a total mess and one spot under a front tree. In the summer sun picks up most of it with his lawn mower and I don’t care if there’s grass or not. Life is to short to worry about how “nice” everything is, would rather enjoy my birds.

#5098815 Report Abuse

trudy1180
    Participant

I have trays under all my feeders. And a few hulls and seeds miss the trays and land on the ground below. Basically I just leave them but a few times they did mount up to be quite a lot, so I just took a rake and raked them up and threw them into our garbage.

#5103857 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

I keep all my seed feeders in a confined area. I got tired of using my DH’s old shop vac to clean up the lawn. I finally took some landscaping fabric and laid it down on the ground and used the long lawn staples to hold it down. It worked good for awhile but wasn’t durable enough. I found a big roll of black plastic that was 4′ wide and 100′ long. I just laid that down and put in the staples to hold it in place and it works great. It did get a couple holes in it from a squirrel ripping it. I can go out with a broom and dust pan and just sweep up the hulls. I save the plastic grocery bags and fill them with the hulls and then pitch them in the garbage.

Look at the post “Bird feeding setups and you will see what I have. It’s the one with the morning glories growing on it. The birds really love to hide in the leaves and it also helps them get out of the sun.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by bwatcher bwatcher.
    #5110258 Report Abuse

Chazzee
    Participant

Aloha y’all! :-) Thank you so much for all your response!  I enjoyed all of them. To Steve, if I knew how to send photos, I would.  And, to all, when I raked it into the middle of the feeders, there is a whole bunch of earth worms.  Doesn’t that mean that is healthy, organic compost?  Also, the parrots are stripping the leaves off my avocado tree.  Sheez!  I love the the birds, but they are also eating my grass and destroying my beautiful yard.  Any advice?  ;-]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.