Chit Chat Thursday June 19

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Chit Chat Thursday June 19

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by takyslaky takyslaky 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Hello everyone!  I can’t feel my fingers as I am typing this.  I finally finished scraping and stripping the deck.  I also painted one part of it.  The part that I removed the old paint.  This part is 12′ x 14′.  What a job.   Mind you, after working on it for 3 days, I don’t feel my back so I kind of rushed it today.  I’m not that happy with my job, but at least it’s clean.  The next stage will be the 7′ x 8′ part of the deck.

The weather was beautiful.  Too bad I did not get to enjoy it.  Well one has to work sometimes…..right!  Like all those flower beds don’t get weeded by themselves…hmmm.

I still have to put away the laundry, and all the material I used today.  The leaf blower came in handy to remove the small pieces of paint that were loose.

Hope you all had a nice day.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5155381 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Good evening everybody.

Stella, I bet you’re glad that’s done.  We are still in a heat wave so I didn’t do a lot today.

Moved the sprinkler around the yard all day.  I did get the grass out of the rose bed & marked some Lilies I want to move this Fall.

We are under a severe TS watch till 10 PM but right  now the sun is shining brightly but the temp has dropped to 86º.  Which I didn’t realize till I just checked it.  It got up close to 100º again today & the heat index was about 7º higher than actual temperature.  I checked Accuweather & rain is expected  around 7 & then again later tonight. I do see clouds passing through periodically so we’ll see.

Not much else to tell you.  Hope everybody has had a good day.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5155386 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I got home around 4:30 and made some chicken salad for dinner, put all kinds of veggies and some grapes in that and it filled me up! I have a meeting at church tonight and it should be a doozy…they have pictures of all of the destruction at the parsonage and what it is going to cost to get it back to where humans would consider living there. There is NO way we could put another pastor in there unless we know it is clean and safe. We are under severe thunderstorm watches for the evening, actually we would appreciate anything that could clear out some of this humidity! I guess before I leave I will shut the computer down just in case it gets bad while I am gone. Other than watering plants I have done nothing in the gardens this week. If I am lucky I will have two days to do it in while pest control is working over there. With my luck it will storm both days and I won’t dare go outside:(

I hope all of the bad storms are over for the mid west…they don’t need any more of that stuff!

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5155387 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Good evening all. What a gorgeous day. After this post, I am going outside for the remainder of the day or mosquitoes chase me in.

I completed my training and passed all my tests. I find my schedule tomorrow. The worst I will do is have to work Saturday. The earliest I will have to go in will be 6:00am. I may decide to take four ten-hour days with three off. First choice will go to those with the highest test scores of the three assessments we took. Wish me luck.

I was awarded the honor of Top Performer from my old section. I won $300.00 in gift cards for our supermarket. Woooohoooo! I can choose between steaks or plants. Or both!

Have a great night all.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5155433 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Good evening.  Another busy day at work.  Someone asked the size of the restaurant.  We can seat 70 at one time.  By the end of the month we will do over a 100 cover per night Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Other nights will be as big.  We also do lunches.  Also people can eat at the bar and am not sure how many that seats.

Planned on cleaning up my glads and getting them ready to plant tonight but after being in a hot kitchen all day it was just too cool to go outside and do that.

Julie I have to disagree with you on the fuel consumption by turning the boiler off when I don’t need hot water.  10 minutes to run to heat the boil is a lot less fuel then it running well over an hour over a 24 hour time just to keep it hot.  Also turning down the temp on the water is not an option as my dishwasher would then run the heater to keep the water at the proper temperature and drive up the electric bill.  I have done this before and the savings was well worth it.

Time to hit the hay and watch some TV until I fall asleep.  Hope to be up and in the garden early tomorrow.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5155441 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Woohoo Wendy, $300. That is a great gift to get, congratulations and good luck on your assessments!

I received my 6 month raise today even though my 6 months was up March 12th but I also got back pay so it was like forcing me to save it, lol. I only started out at $10 an hour, 1/2 of what I was making at my old job, but in 6 months time I am up to $12 an hour so that isn’t bad at all.

Last I heard which was this morning we are to get another storm tonight, Last nights didn’t hit us until 2:45 am and only a few branches down here and there so not too bad. We’ll see what tonight brings.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5155452 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Good evening everyone.  Well, it is raining here…don’t know whether to say again or still.  It is hard to believe that last weekend I was praying for rain.  I guess I prayed too hard because we have had 8 inches since Monday.  I wish we could stock pile it until August, but I guess that isn’t an option.

I did get a lot done in my shop and that is a good thing since I am taking tomorrow off.  We have a niece getting married on Saturday and I am making the salads for the reception….150 people, so I need to get the groceries and get started on them tomorrow.

Sandy and Eva….I am sorry that you both had to go without power.  I know how much that sucks.  Isn’t it unbelievable how quiet the house is when you have no power?  Glad you both have it again.

Bette….I thought that your job was only supposed to be like 3 days a week.  It seems you are working much more than that.

Leslie….my friends (sisters) are flying out with their aunt and a cousin.  None of them have ever seen the area nor the Atlantic ocean (I haven’t either).  They are taking in a few sites in DC and then some historical sites south of DC….and then going to VA beach and driving a long the coast.  I know how close they will be to many of you.  They are flying home from SC, but not sure where.  I hope you have fun camping with DGS…..and I hope the weather cooperates.

Molly….please enjoy your days off from the parsonage.  I bet the meeting tonight will be very enlightening to many board members.

Julie….I am looking forward to getting away from here and visiting you….it will be here sooner than we think.

Linda….we had the temps drop drastically like that on Monday night.  Tonight I have a sweater and sweat pants on because it is chilly.  I know that is hard for many of you to imagine.

Karen….I also need new clothes badly, but since I hate shopping so much, I just do with what I have.  How is your PT going?  I don’t hear you say much about it any more….or are you finished?

Melissa….you have such a busy life.  What is the project for your Mom this weekend….is it the floor you mentioned?  I agree with you on some warmer weather….but I’m not going to pray for warmer temps….the praying for rain got me in trouble….lol

Wendy….congrats to you on the gift certificate and good luck on your assessments….I am sure you did great on the tests.  I hope you can get the job and hours of your choice.

Stella…..are you using stripper to remove the paint or just scraping?  Either way, I know it is a lot of work!  I bet your hands are sore…and your back as well.

Gayle….with those temps, I;d hang out in the AC as well.  I hope the severe weather passed by your area.

Kathy….you can stop sending me the rain now….PLEASE…..lol.

Have a good evening everyone.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5155475 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

No storms here, just a light shower around 8.

Bette, I know several people who turn their hot water heater off when not needed.  Then turn it back on for showers, laundry, dish washing, etc;  Some have timers on them for that purpose.  I’ve thought about it but haven’t tried it yet.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5155488 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

Good early morning..LOL.  Just got here from posting pics.  I had a full day today.   Got up early and cleaned up the dishes from breakfast, then got ready and took off to my dental appt.  After I was done with that I went to Broadway to get my oil changed in the car and had everything inspected. Since I bought the car there I have a 30,000 mile warranty with free oil changes that GM pays for as well as all the inspections that are done including tire rotation and all.  Next I went to Menards and picked up my new hose and some mulch.  After that I went to the mall and got in for a hair appt. so got my hair cut and styled.  Once done with all that I ate there and then left to go to dance lessons.  Yep, I am bushed.

Sounds like everyone had a busy day too.  I know I am hitting the hay.  Good night all.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.