Chit Chat Thursday July 24

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Chit Chat Thursday July 24

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Gayle Gayle 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Good evening!  Wish the weather was like today for the rest of the summer.  Of course that’s wishing for too much.  I suppose we do need rain as well.

I had to do an errand this morning.  Before leaving the house I called my DD to invite her and the boys for lunch.  I think I earned a break today.  We had a nice time.  Then I went to her apartment and she dyed my hair, trimmed it, and then blew dried it.  What a great job…..and it’s not even her trade.  It was a last minute decision.  I’m not complaining.  So what do I do on the way home, I go to the nursery just to browse.  Of course an orange Echinacea just wanted to come home with me.  We were celebrating my nice hair…..LOL.  Any excuse is a good one.

Zorro was very forgiving for having left him a good part of the day so we both went into the garden and I planted my new plant.  Great day!

How was yours?

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5267540 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

We have had rain most of the day but the good kind, slow and easy, it has soaked into the ground instead of running off. We didn’t get any of the storms that went north and south of us so that is a good thing. I worked at the parsonage until about 2, finished all I could for the day so came home to try to catch up on things here. I think I might hit the hay early and be up bright and early tomorrow. Now if the japanese beetles would go away I would be happy. They are chewing the life out of my hibiscus but the strange thing is they don’t touch the Texas Star Hibiscus that grows next to them. I have three resident hummers now, so much fun to watch from the den window. And I found a wren’s nest in a pot in the greenhouse, didn’t disturb it to see how many eggs she has in there. I don’t know if it is the same one that hatched eggs in one of the bird feeders several weeks ago or another one.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5267545 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

I watched on TV about this tremendous storm hitting a camp site in W. Virginia…wonder if it is close to Gayle…boy, so many tragedies…and the flag exchange at the Brooklyn Bridge…Here, we don’t have any rain…and quite a few drive by shooting in Fresno…A few goldfinches are eating to their heart content the Sunflowers in the C.Yard…so excited this is the first time in this house that I was able to grow them…

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5267574 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Good evening….just checking the board before retiring to bed.  We had a gorgeous day, but too bad I had to spend it in my shop working.  I did some watering when I got home, but bypassed anything iffy.  We have a 80% chance of rain tonight, so I am hoping Mother Nature will water them for me.  If she doesn’t, I have a lot of watering to do in the morning….lol.

I did go to my BFF’s house after work and help her identify weeds from flowers in a bed I had planted for her earlier this year.  She loves flowers, but just doesn’t get it if you know what I mean.  She thinks you plant them and that is all you have to do.  I think I am slowly getting the point across that they need water.

Have a good evening everyone.  I sure hope I can sleep tonight….that has been a problem for me lately.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5267586 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Good evening everybody.  Not much has changed since I posted on VIP earlier.

We’ve had light rain off & on most of the day but no storms. Yes, Ili, that tornado was in my area but not too close.  About 60 miles south of me.  It’s big news here as we rarely get tornadoes in this area.  I posted about it on the VIP thread earlier.

The JB only get on my Blue River Hibiscus, Molly  They never bother the rest.  I’ve had them on my Bottle brush blooms this year which is kind of odd since they are not really flowers.

I have that same problem with my son, Charlene.  he likes gardening & is interested but doesn’t quite get that they need water & sometimes fertilizer or other “help”.  He asks what’s wrong , I tell him & he doesn’t follow up.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.