Chit Chat Friday the 4th

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Chit Chat Friday the 4th

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

So much for our mid 70s day and rain. This 10º warmer and no rain really makes a difference. I thought I was going to die out in that full sun pulling weeds. I had to come back to my room to cool off and get some ice water and will go back around 5:00.

The plants are crying for some water too but didn’t want to water in this heat so will water tonight.

I was happy to see that the plumeria plant that a tip of one the branches that broke off is almost as good as the other 2 branches now. It has gotten so big I will need to have one of my boys bring it in this winter.

I also picked 2 cucumbers today thanks to Charlene starting a plant for me. I also started 2 other cucumber plants but they are just now getting blooms.

Charlene a lot of the glads are coming up. It looks like maybe a few may be big enough to bloom yet this year.

I will be back with some pictures of what I have been dealing with in some of the back yard since last fall.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5260654 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Good afternoon Kathy. I got the lawn mowed and a spot ready for zinnias seeds to be sown. It’s a beautiful mid 70′s day with plenty of sunshine. A beautiful summer so far and way overdue. Going over to mom’s for supper and strawberry shortcake. Will catch some fireworks from her back deck.

Hope everyone is enjoying their day.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5260661 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Good evening everybody, I’m home again (insert sigh).  Got her about 2 & been straightening things up ever since.

We had some rain Wed. according to the gauge & again this morning but sun was out when I got home.  It’s pretty breezy but no damage & actually feels good.  What wind there was (from Arthur) blew over some of my taller plants (which is why I don’t like the tall plants) & I had to tie my tomatoes up again.  That’s about it.  I’ll go out tomorrow & deal with what got blown over.

I took DIL & GD to the airport this morning so they could meet up with the other half of the family & they will be spending next week in Cal for a family vacation.   I checked traffic & since it was light I decided to head on home.

Pretty much it for me.  I hope everybody’s day was good.  Blue Bloods on the TV agenda tonight.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5260665 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Garage was painted (and son got rid of the blue truck and got a new white truck, lol)

machinery, dug up patio cement piles and junk (oh, I don’t want to forget all the humongous piles of dog crap)

I have already weeded 3 areas this size with weeds this thick. Bigs ones weren’t so bad to pull but all the bindweed, creeping charlie and jenny, dandelions and crabgrass that was under all this was what was a bitc_ to do. I still have this and 2 other areas like it to do.

This area is where I am going to put my patio set. I had pulled all the weeds a month ago and this picture was taken today.

I plan on getting all the bigger weeds and then on a calm day I will cover all the plants and roundup the the rest of the yard. I really don’t think roundup will help though because last fall I had used roundup on the whole yard and there are even more weeds this year.

Oh my, what is a girl to do.

I didn’t even think to take a picture of the finished house, lol.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5260669 Report Abuse
    Donna
    Donna
    Participant

Hi Kathy, Wendy and Gayle…..2nd decent day for us then back to the high temps tomorrow…

Kathy you will get there one day, it’s a lot of work for you now but eventually you will see the rewards. Sorry it was too hot for you.

Wendy, enjoy your dinner and fireworks, yummm on the strawberry shortcake.

Gayle, glad you had a safe drive home.

Happy Fourth of July to all my American Friends. :)

Donna_Canada_Z_5

#5260670 Report Abuse
    Donna
    Donna
    Participant

Oh MY GOSH Kathy you sure do have a lot of work there. Yikes I don’t know how you have managed to work there with all the rain and weeds to control. You are determined and I know you won’t stop until you have it the way you want… :)

Can’t wait for pics next year.

Donna_Canada_Z_5

#5260683 Report Abuse
    flowerpowerz5
    flowerpowerz5
    Participant

Hi all! DD and I went to the zoo and saw differnet animals and birds and we had fun. Was supposed to meet up with my bff she is visting from Texas well I guess she doesn’t want to visit at my house she would rather go somewhere else. I really get pissed at her. Ever since I’ve known her I have gone to her house well I told her I was going somewhere else tonight, she didn’t know what to say. Sorry to be such a downer but I had to vent. Other than that the day has been wonderful.

Sandy M.

#5260701 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Kathy you have a big job ahead of you but you WILL get it done with your determination. My yard actually doesn’t look that much better because I have not spent as much time on it as I should but that horrible heat and humidity makes me sick. Today was beautiful..Arthur took all of the humidity with him. I spent until 1:00 delivering meals on wheels, came home, grabbed some lunch, changed my clothes and worked over at the parsonage until 5. Came home and ate some supper and walked around the yard, pulled some weeds but not nearly enough. When I went through town today there were trucks on the street selling fresh melons and sweet corn, I didn’t stop because I knew I didn’t have the time to take care of it so maybe tomorrow I will go over and get some.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5260720 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Good evening!  It was such a nice day today.  The weather couldn’t have been better.  Well maybe it could have been warmer if we had wanted to swim, but that wasn’t necessary for a good day.

DM’s visit went pretty well.  She seemed to be in good spirits for most of the day.  That was a nice change of pace.  I gave her some flower seeds to plant and she seemed happy about that.  She wanted to watch fireworks on television tonight and I told her she had her choice between NY’s and Washington’s.  I’m glad she came today.

Kathy, I think you will be having cukes for a while having two separate planting times.  I forgot to plant them this year.  Maybe I still will?  Sorry your weather wasn’t so cooperative today.

Strawberry shortcake ALWAYS sounds good to me, Wendy.  Enjoy supper and dessert at your mom’s.  Fireworks from the deck ought to be pretty nice as well.

Gayle, I am glad you didn’t have much damage from Arthur.  Hope your family enjoys their California vacation.

I saw tonight that we will get hot again too, Donna.  I guess it was bound to happen eventually.  How nice you were able to string together two nice days in a row!  Hope they’ve been good for you.

Sandy, one of my favorite things ever to do is go to a zoo.  Whenever DH and I go to a new city chances are that I have scoped out their zoo and have made plans to visit there.  Sorry about your BFF letting you down.  Sometimes it is just easier to not have any expectations from our friends, that way we are not disappointed in their choices.  BTDT myself.

I hope everyone has a good night!

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5260727 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

It took me so long to post that I missed Molly posting.  Molly, I think the corn on the cob is the only thing missing from my day.  I really wanted some but forgot to pick any up.  Maybe tomorrow.  I’m glad Arthur took the humidity with him.  That stuff is nasty!

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5260756 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

Good evening.  It is getting late and we haven’t had supper but will soon. Then I will head to bed. We fought the carpet for a while today and DS hopes to get the new flooring down in the den tomorrow but I don’t think we will. We still have some carpet to get up, staples from the padding to hammer down and 2 places where we will have to replace small sections of sin flooring. It takes so long getting the carpet up because in a mobile home they obviously put the carpet down before the walls so it runs under the walls, making it a real pain to cut and pull up.

Kathy, I know you will get it all done and look forward to those pics. I have more weeds than normal right now but they will have to stay until I get done with this floor. We can barely get around in the den because of the furniture obstacle course.

DS’S and DGS went to get fireworks so I guess they will be shooting them after we eat supper.

Have a good night.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5260768 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Hello everyone.  We had the most beautiful weather today….the best I ever remember on the 4th of July.  Our high temp was 72º and a gentle breeze.  I got so much done outside.  I did discover that all of the rain we have had has really boosted the mosquito population.  I had not seen a single one until yesterday, and now they are hiding under every plant.  I made do, though, since they don’t bite me….they just like to buzz in my ears…..very irritating.

Kathy….it looks like you’ve got your work cut out for you!  Last year when we all did garden progress photos, I know you felt left out.  You can make up for it this year!  It may take you some time and lots of hard work to shape up that lawn, but we all know you can do it!  I look forward to your next set of pictures.

Wendy…glad you had a nice time with family….and a double plus that you had nice weather as well.

I have watched 2 sets of fireworks from our yard.  One couple west of town shot them of for their son’s graduation (around 9pm)  Then around 9:45 some neighbors to the north shot them of in honor of their 40th wedding anniversary.  It is fun to watch fireworks from the comfort of your own home.  You know all about that, don’t you Karen? I am glad you had a pleasant day with your Mom.

Molly…glad you got the meals delivered and the weather cooperated to do so.

Donna…glad you got at least a couple nice days.  I am sorry that the awful stuff is returning.

Sandy…vent when you need to.  Maybe she isn’t as good of a friend as you thought?  I hope tomorrow is better for you.  Good that you had fun at the zoo!

Welcome back, Gayle.  I am glad that there wasn’t alot of damage done while you were gone

Leslie….ripping up that carpet sounds like too much work….especially in the heat you have been having

I am tired and heading off to bed.  See you in the morning.  Good night.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.