Chit Chat for Saturday

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Chit Chat for Saturday

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Gayle Gayle 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

I came in for a break. It is very humid out there so I turned on the air to make it feel better in the house and will shut it off again in an hour.

I have dug so many weeds out of the long bed I planted in and still have a long way to go. Third time I have had to weed this and the 4th time I had to weed an area in the middle of the yard.

The area was swarming with bees, wasps, butterflies (including Monarchs) and humming birds. The bees and wasps never bothered me. I had to stake up the 3 KMOTGG since they wouldn’t stay up by themselves since the morning glory took them down.

It is very wet and muddy out there yet from yesterday and the weeds just wanted to slide through my fingers so it has been slow going. My shoes are so thick with mud I can hardly lift my feet. We are to get more rain tonight along with severe storms.

After I do a little more weeding I will take a quick shower and go get some groceries. There is absolutely nothing in the house to eat.

Charlene I see that the other BFB is a lavender one. I wanted to ask you…is the summer gloxinia an annual? I think I asked you this before but forgot, lol.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5278880 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Good evening everybody

Had a nice time at the luncheon.  We sat & talked for almost 4 hrs.  LOL  I left at the 3 1/2 mark as I had some other tings I wanted to get done before I headed home.

Went by BFF’s house when she got home & picked up the Daylilies she had for me.  There were 4 nice big clumps & some smaller ones.  I need to go get them out of the car & put them some place shady till I get a chance to plant them.

I’ve been home about an hr, in my jammies & the animals have been fed.   Waiting for Cedar Cove to come on at 8 PM.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5278886 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Good evening,

Looks as though you ladies had a productive & fun day. I’m patiently waiting for some rain to pass through our area (we are expecting some this w/e)…I suspect there will be lots of unhappy campers.

Kathy, you mention, “shoes thick with mud” & this brings up a question I’ve been wanting to ask the gardener’s here for awhile. The ‘Dexter’ boots I’ve had for 20 years now have finally split open & I’m looking for another pair that is waterproof but lightweight enough to wear in the summer & tough enough to hang out in a freezer;-)

Do any of you wear a flexible favorite ~all weather terrain kind of boot?

Have been reading so much about landscaping today it feels like I’ve been rolling in the mud. Was engrossed in reading & writing on the balcony for awhile & the hummers seemed to clamor for my attention? Any other time I’ll sit out there just waiting for a glimpse of them & nothing…seems like they are similar to children in that as soon as you start talking on the phone or such; they want your undivided attention….But I loved every interruption:-)

We are going to have what I consider a late dinner tonight…seems so European.

Gayle, glad you got to share some quality time with you BFF.

#5278889 Report Abuse
    flowerpowerz5
    flowerpowerz5
    Participant

Good evening all! I just  got back from a mini get a way . My ydd and I went to the State fair then onto Sacketts Harbor, NY and then onto the Thousand Islands. We had a good time. Enjoyed watching the people at the fair. We were watching the Clydes dale  horses and Perchuen (sp) horses they were big but beautiful. The harbor was nice and quaint we had dinner out there. Today we went to the 1000 Islands and took a boat trip it was a beautiful day a breeze and sunshine and water. It took about 4and half hours to drive. We did spend the night in a motel to make the trip easier. Needless to say we are both tired. I will post pictures when I get them downloaded. Have a good evening.

Sandy M.

#5278891 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

The hummers do that. I was standing on the deck looking out in the distance when I heard something.

When I looked close to me – a little hummer was buzzing in a circle in front of me.  That was 15 years ago but a special memory.

I got the machine serviced finally. Takes me about 4 times to get it all tuned up. So I have to rest between.

GD played in VB yesterday. Birmingham southern – won 3 sets 3-0 and one lost 2-3.    She got 15 blocks – 22 kills And is 3rd in total points.  Hope to get down to see her play this fall.

The 24 steps down to where they like to sit will be easier now that my hip is better.

Have a great finish to your week – and an even better one next week! alma

<*)~// Tealbird

#5278928 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Good evening all. Beautiful summer day today. I relaxed mostly. Can’t stay out long. The mosquitoes are relentless.  My mom called and invited me out to dinner. We went to a favorite Italian restaurant and I have chicken french for dinner tomorrow.

I enjoyed some of the morning on the patio and watched the hummingbirds enjoying the red salvia. The big bumblebees like it too.  No butterflies this year. I got a couple of nice pics.

Have a great night all.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5278979 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Good evening everyone.  I got a lot done in the yard today, but still lots more weeding and deadheading to do the next 2 days.  I kind of got side tracked doing 2 trays of cuttings….lol.  48 cuttings per tray, and so far I have done 6 trays, so I guess my fear of running out of plants won’t come true next year….lol  I still have more to do!

I am a bit concerned about the beehive, which I now know is some type of wasp.  It is above the sidewalk where kids walk to and from school and the bus stop.  I would hate for any of them to get stung.  I left a message for my bee friend, so hopefully he can give me some tips on what to do.

Kathy….shoot….I was so hoping that your other BFB would be pink…..I wonder why no pink ones so far?  No white ones so far, either.  The summer gloxinnia is an annual….Incarvillea Cheron.  It is very easy to save seeds (brown long narrow pods) and easy from seed.  They do not have to be started very early….in fact, I am going to sprinkle a few seeds in the garden this fall and see how they do that way.

Gayle….glad you had a fun time with your cousins.  Is this going to be a yearly event….or maybe more often than that?

Ann…my all terrain foot wear is calloused bare feet.  They get very dirty, but before walking in the back door, I dip them in a bucket of rain water and most of the dirt comes off.  I don’t think I’ve ever had a pair of boots other than snow boots as a child…..not since.

Sandy…I’m so happy that you got to get away and have some fun.  It sounds like you and DD had a great time and I do look forward to seeing your pics.

Alma…glad you got the sewing machine done!  I know all about that lint-itous….lol.  I have a nice little brush that cleans out those feed dogs wonderfully!  When are you going to AL?

Wendy…glad you got to enjoy a little outdoor time today.  I am also anxious to see your pics.  The hummers do like those salvia.  This year the hummers and the butterflies are liking the Kiss Me over the Garden Gate….I don’t recall that other years.  Glad you and Mom got to go out for dinner….sounds like good leftovers.

I started this almost an hour ago….and Kathy called, so we have been catching up.  I always enjoy visiting with her.

Have a good evening everyone.  Charlene
    <h1 class=”productGeneral” id=”productName”></h1>

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5278988 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Good evening all!  I’m late chiming in.   My best friend invited me to a BBQ birthday party for her husband.  We were about 35 people.  I don’t think I have ever seen such an assortment of food….unbelievable.  I almost rolled out of her house.  It was just too tempting to resist.

A little update on Elle Cid.  Yes, I brought her home.  Everything seems to be ok.  I think the fact that she is so young  the surgery was easier.  I’m so glad she is home.

Kathy, you are working way too hard.  Don’t get sick like the last couple of years.  It takes so much longer to get well.

Gayle, you are the Dayllily Queen.  Glad you got more.

MDg, I have a pair of gardening shoes.  They are made out of rubber with good rubber soles with lots of traction.  I bought them at Zellers…I think….a couple of years back.  They are great.

Sandy, sounds like you had time with your DD.

Alma, there is a shortage of hummingbirds here.  I had two sighting.  My neighbour across the street said she saw one yesterday.  Lucky her.

Yes Wendy, I did see our flying wonders.  Great pictures.

Hope the rest of you had a nice day.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5278991 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Charlene, we must have been typing at the same time.  Yes, these wasp nests can be dangerous.  I had one last year in my gourd birdhouse.  I took Raid and kept spraying into the port.  Lucky no bites.  But two years ago, while I was trimming my wegielia, boy was I surprised.  There was a small wasp nest that I did not notice.  It was small.  I sure got bitten in several places.  Not a fun thing.  They say smoke will shoo them away.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5279009 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Ann, I wear those rubber clogs but can’t say I really like them.  I prefer just an old pair of shoes when I have some.

Charlene we see each other from time to time throughout the year but not all together at the same time, so yes we are planning on doing it again next year at a different house.  One of the cousins is my BFF & I see her all the time. Two live in Baltimore (approx 150 mi away, not far from my son) & I see them off & on, usually in the summer.  One of those owns a 2nd home here & that is where we were toddy.  The last, but not least, of the group, lives in Va. Beach, about 100 mile & not too far from where Molly lives.  She still owns her family home here & I see her fairly often.   I go stay overnight with her in the Spring & we go plant shopping.  She is a Master Gardener so we always have fun.  And I save all my Garden Mags for her.  Unfortunately the older cousin that lives right next door didn’t feel up to joining us today.  She came over & said Hi but we couldn’t talk her into sitting down & having something to eat with us.  Maybe next time.

Stella, glad your cat is OK

Just came in from letting the dog out for the last time & calling the cat in, like I do every night at this time.   But he didn’t come, & he always does.  I called & called; walked around the yard a couple times with a flashlight looking for him in all his “resting” spots & couldn’t find him anywhere.  I must have looked for & called him for at  least 15-20 min & I was getting worried.  I figured nothing to do, might as well go in & see if he shows up later.  I opened the gate to go back into the back yard & on into the garage & there he was sitting on the door stoop just as pretty as you please, waiting on me. (He can come & go from that part of the yard by slinking under the fence.)  Like, where ya been Ma?  I’ve been right here the whole time.  LOL

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.