Chit Chat for Friday, March 21st

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Chit Chat for Friday, March 21st

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Gayle Gayle 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Good evening.  I really do love having the sun just going down and it is almost 7 pm.  More sunshine and longer daylight hours really do make for better days for us solar-powered folk.   :) I don’t expect we will be this fortunate again for more than a week judging by the forecast.  :(   Cold and kind of gloomy …

Didn’t do a ton today, just some laundry, picked up in the office, and transplanted my tomatoes.  PT was exhausting today.  I think I took my pain pill at the wrong time.  By the time I was done in the gym, I was whipped.  I’m not usually like that.  Guess I will sleep good tonight.

No real plans for tonight or the weekend.  Just more of the same, getting ready for DSon’s visit.  Hope to buy paint for the bathroom tomorrow so DSisIL can start the work whenever she is free.  The next couple of weeks will be here before we know it!  Haven’t seen DSon since Christmas so this will be a nice visit.  Meeting the girlfriend ought to be interesting.  I just have a hunch that this could be a very serious relationship that may last.  DH and I agree, if DSon is happy, we are happy.

Have a good night!

How was your day?  Good, I hope.

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5120646 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Hi Karen, you and I must have been in the same frame of mind.  Taking it easy that is.  I’m sure you are about to your son’s visit.  What about paint?  Did you decide on a colour or did I miss it.

I did get to transplant a few seedlings.  Some Pentesmon, Red Salvia, Blue Salvia, and one mystery seedling.   The other two mystery seedling are so tiny.  I’m wondering if Wanda sent me some Lisianthus.  So far two of the #1 seedlings have germinated.  Wish I knew what the mystery seeds will look like.  I’m almost tempted to ask….LOL.

I’m so discouraged with the squirrels around my feeders.  They really are a nuisance.  The poor birds have to wait until those pests finish or I chase them off.  Would be so much nicer if they left this area.  They won’t…there is too much food around with all those feeders hanging.

How was your day?

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5120654 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Karen I like it being light out later in the evening too. I go to work in the dark no matter what time change we are in so I can only get my extra daylight in this time change.

I knew we were supposed to get colder for the next 7 days or so but with it being in the 50s and 60s so much lately I wasn’t ready for today. Even though we are in the 30s the wind just makes it bitterly cold out there.

Karen you are probably more drained from PT because your body isn’t up to par with that infection you have / had. I hope you start feeling more like yourself soon.

Stella there is only one way to get rid of those tree rats and that is all I am saying on it because I don’t want to get kicked out for saying something “they” don’t like.

Think I will take a shower and go to bed because about an hour ago I started feeling sick to my stomach and it isn’t get any better.

Prayers and thoughts are with Donna and Eva.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5120668 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Karen I hope you get some rest tonight and feel better in the morning.  I had a friend visit this morning so I didn’t get nearly as much done as I had planned. Still warm outside so I don’t need heat and that makes me happy. That will change about Saturday but it won’t be as bad as it has been. I just want spring to get here to stay.

Kathy I have gotten rid of a couple of those “tree rats” and I saw one today but he got away before I could get outside. My “tree rat eradicator” is on the dining room table loaded and ready to go. Nuff said.

DD called to see if I wanted to go for sushi tonight but I had already had my salad and dinner was in the oven so I didn’t go.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5120672 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

I think we are going with a shade or two darker than the gray we have now, Stella.  The bathroom is straight out of the early 50′s and has tile that is pink with a burgundy border around the shower/tub area.  In an effort to cheaply refurbish the look of the bathroom, and make it more masculine for DSon since it was the one he predominately used when he was at home, we painted the walls gray.  I think we could go a bit darker this time and DH agrees with me.  I hope we don’t end up hating it.  LOL!  I guess even if we do, it is better than what it looks like now.   The paint is fading and is even chipping in a few places.  DH’s uncle never installed the exhaust fan when we moved in, and as a result there are always moisture troubles in that room.  Now the DU is older and I wouldn’t ask him to do the work.  I’d love it if DH would get one of his cousins to install the fan.

Kathy, I’m sure you are right about me being tired after PT because of the infection issue.  I think the infection is messing with my blood pressure too.  Some days it is higher than I like it, but some days (like today) it is a bit too low for my taste.  The doctor said we will talk about it when I see him in a couple of weeks.  I’m glad it doesn’t bother him.  LOL!

Definitely thinking of Donna tonight, and wishing Eva well, too.

I forgot to mention that I got a lovely card from Charlene today with some seeds in it.  THANK YOU, Charlene!  Can’t wait to get them planted.

I REALLY want spring to make itself known too, Molly.  This next week back in the 30′s is going to stink big time for us!

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5120684 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Good evening everybody.  I didn’t get outside like I planned today but I did get some things done.

It was sunny & I thought warm, according to the thermometer but when I went to take Chelsea for a walk there was a damp breeze so I decide to wait till tomorrow for an “outside” day.

I did do a few things; filled birdfeeders. worked on the old swing frame I put in the back to use as an arbor/trellis.  It just needs a coat of paint.

While back there I notices some rust on the brand new swing frame .  At the spots where intersecting pieces have been welded together.  I sprayed them all with clear Rust -Oleum but I’m not real happy about it.  I just put it up in Oct. & haven’t even really got to use it yet.  I’m considering contacting the company but what can they do?  I’m not about to take it apart & send it back.

I had the door open on my GH today for most of the afternoon; made up 2 hanging baskets with Schizanthus & trailing Vince seedlings.  Then I transplanted 24 Bee Balm.  All of  that went into the GH.  Just crossing my fingers & hoping they all lives & grows for me.

And I finally finished the storage chest.  There’s a picture here in another thread.

I guess that was it.  Will watch Blue Bloods tonight & Water Aerobics in the morning.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5120691 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Good evening everyone.  We had another cold day, but the sun did make a surprise appearance, so that made it feel a bit warmer.  I have already turned the gas on in the GH because it is supposed to get down to 10º tonight.  Where oh where is Spring?

Karen…glad to hear that the seeds arrived.  I mailed them on Monday morning….I think the USPS is getting slower and slower.  I have a visual image of your bathroom, and I think that the darker gray is a great choice….very retro….I love that look!  I hope you like DS’s new gal….and I know she will like you guys.

Stella….I have got lots of transplanting to do tomorrow, but I am wondering where I am going to place the trays after they are transplanted….guess I got a bit carried away once again.  ho hum

Kathy…we had the cold today, but we haven’t had those warm days like you have had, so it just felt like another day.  I hope you are feeling better tomorrow.

Molly….I’ve never done the sushi thing before….not a lot of those kind of places in Iowa….lol.

Gayle….I saw your toy chest…looks great and still serving a purpose….I love that!

I got a lot done in my shop….who cares, right?  Guess all I have to talk about is work and seedlings because that is my boring life.

I apologize for not doing the SOD on Thursday and Friday….I just haven’t had time.  I guess that is why I put out a cry for assistance Dec.

have a good evening everyone.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5120699 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Well, I called the company about the rusting on the swing & since it has been more than 90 days, I’m SOL.  Not real happy about that.  I sprayed the joints I saw rust on today.  Guess tomorrow I’ll spray the whole thing.  It’s not bad rust but it’s there.

Charlene I wouldn’t worry about the SOD.  If you want to do it why not just do 1 a week.

#5120735 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

I think one a week of SOD is adequate.

We had a nice day – but a very chilly wind. Got my hip therapy done. Am hoping to have the last one next week.  Am so I can take step over step. That dragging that right one up a flight of stairs is so slow.

Did use the last of rainwater today. About 3 gallon. I had carried the rest in and used it all up. But this container was so heavy I had to wait till it melted and I could dip half of it out.

Used it on the green tips of Daffies, species tulips and crocus.  Tonight I see 5 green bulges of Surprise lilies.  I hadn’t watered them.  This area is so low and this year we are so dry and could use a nice warm rain. But with so many having snow -  I hate to mention something so simple.  But we are going to be like Kansas this summer. Other years we are more like the north.  This little bit of garden is between the south porch and sidewalk. Protected by steps and seems to be earlier than the rest of my yard.

<*)~// Tealbird

#5120753 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

So instead of SOD it can be called SOW!

Sounds good to me.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5120790 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I thought of that too Leslie but didn’t say it.  LOL

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.