Canada Goose in the snow

Home Forums Birding Feeding Birds Canada Goose in the snow

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  PAgrandma 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

PAgrandma
    Participant

Here on my eleven acre property in Pennsylvania I’ve had a Canada Goose for the past four days… just walking around in the snow.  I fear it’s injured and feel a need to give it some sustenance. 

What could I give it (or should I even try?  It did peck under the bird feeders, but if I put feed on the ground, the squirrels will get it first.

Advice would be appreciated.  ~ Joyce

#5097964 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Do you have a wild life conservation society.  You may call your APCA….sorry if I’m getting the letters wrong.  Here in Canada it’s called the SPCA.  Or as a last resort, you can call a vet shop of a department of science at a university.  Wish I could be more of help.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5098465 Report Abuse

PAgrandma
    Participant

Stella,

Thanks for your reply, but it appears my concerns were unfounded.  Last evening I saw two walking together and just now I see EIGHT !  What are they doing here with all this cold and snow?

There is a spring running constantly on my land, and surrounding the moist area the snow has melted and there is some grass, which is why they’re here I guess.

I did search on line about ‘feeding’, and a charming site (Love Canada Goose) says they like corn and grain.  However, don’t plan to pursue this further.  They’re on their own! 

#5098470 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

I expect those geese will be just fine. They do like corn for sure. At the green way I go to theres a corn field and after the corn is cut in the fall that field is always full of Canada geese. Love seeing them in the spring too when they have their little ones swimming down the river.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5098486 Report Abuse

PAgrandma
    Participant

I feel the same, Steve.  I think they’ll be fine without my intervention.

A few years back there was a ‘family’ nearby and I got to see the little yellow youngsters close up waddling around my driveway. 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.