Can someone identify this bird?

Home Forums Birding What is this bird? Can someone identify this bird?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Stelios Stelios 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

There is this lovely park that my DD and DGSs visited a couple of years ago.  I did post this picture with a question attached to it in the Sunday Bird Bowl.  I did not get an answer.  So here it is again.  This is a marshland/wetland area.  There are always professional photographers on site.  Apparently we have birds nesting that are rare.  This little bird was nesting when I caught site of it.  Wonder what it is?  Next time I will have to read the information closely.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#4907848 Report Abuse
    DECollins
    DECollins
    Participant

Looks like an American Coot, to me. All grey, darker head, white bill. We have a huge coot nesting area around here.

#4908680 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

Stella…where was this taken?

Keep in mind that knowing the region can help in identification. For example…

The bird quiz Junior is doing…the green-tailed towhee is not found in the Eastern part of the country. That is when you start looking at Western birds.

#4909779 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Linda it was taken at Bois d’Ile Bizard, near Montreal, Quebec, Canada.  This area is absolutely fantastic for all kinds of wild birds.  There are beavers turtles, and other critters.  Lots of nice wild plants as well.  You can be sure that the next time I will even photograph the descriptive information provided by this provincial park.

Thanks everyone for helping!

Stella
    Community Team Member

#4911178 Report Abuse
    DECollins
    DECollins
    Participant

A shot of some American Coots

#4911290 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

I’m not real good with ocean birds…I don’t think it is a coot, just doesn’t seem like the right color or bill. Perhaps a small tern or gull? (yet, I don’t think they nest on the water like that) I think someone else may have to identify this bird…too bad it is facing away from the camera.

Hope someone can help you,

Linda Z

#4911510 Report Abuse
    DECollins
    DECollins
    Participant

It’s an American Coot. It is exactly the same color and color bill.

#4911947 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Here is a frontal picture.  Hope this helps….

Stella
    Community Team Member

#4912229 Report Abuse
    DECollins
    DECollins
    Participant

I’m sorry the bill isn’t right for an American coot.

It’s a black tern.

#4913052 Report Abuse
    njeagle7
    njeagle7
    Participant

Stelios, I found a ‘Nature Photographer’ who has photos he took at the same Nature Park…who knows, may even be the same bird you saw?  :)   I think DECollins may be right…looks like an American Black Tern. Take a look at his blog…after the first three photos. Beautiful bird…

http://notdennis51.wordpress.com/2010/06/27/ile-bizzard/

~Annie in NJ~  aka jerseytweeter at…

http://www.youtube.com/user/jerseytweeter/videos?view=0&flow=grid

#4915988 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Oh my!!!!!!!  I was stunned to see the first site you posted njeagle7.  Unbelievable that you found it.  Yes, it is a Black Tern.  Oh the beautiful photography.  Makes my black tern photo look downright ugly.  Maybe when I go back to Bois d’Ile Bizard this summer, I’ll be able to take better pictures with my new camera….!  Thanks so much for this information.

Stella
    Community Team Member

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.