Butterfly Garden Structures

Home Forums Gardening Bugs and Butterflies Butterfly Garden Structures

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Kim Kim 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

GilbertsDaughter
    Participant

Hi All,

I’d like to discuss garden structures for a butterfly garden. I have a 1-acre section of my property adjacent to my yard that I let go natural starting last year. I mowed a criss-cross path through it and planted a few perennials in that area that I know will serve the butterfly population well and I have plans to continue adding more plants. This section is out in the wide open with only a large oak nearby but it doesn’t shade it except for the late afternoon/early evening. This summer I plan to add more physical structures to it (a couple sections of picket fence, maybe a couple large rocks/boulders, a feeding station,etc). My question is, does anyone have any other ideas of things I can add that would benefit this area (not plants-I’ve got those covered)? It seems I’ve read in the past that butterflies need places to perch when the weather is bad and I’m not sure I’m a believer in butterfly houses. Any ideas? If you have pictures of something I can build or buy that won’t break the bank, I’d sure appreciate it.

#5121725 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I wish I could help you.  One thing that comes to my mind is Pinterest.  If you go on their site and search for garden structures for butterflies you might just find something interesting…..or close to it.  They have so many people posting ideas.  Hope this helps.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5123282 Report Abuse
    Kim
    Kim
    Participant

Hi there GD,

There are over 45 species of butterflies that visit my home garden every year, and when it rains they naturally seek shelter in nearby trees and along the underside of flowers and plants.

Last year, an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail that got caught in a downpour simply hid beneath the flowering zinnia it had been nectaring on.  When the rain let up a bit it flew up into the trees in the backyard.  So that Oak tree and the plants and rocks you’ll be providing should work just fine for providing shelter.

I also agree with you about butterfly houses.  They’re nice for decorative purposes, but I have never seen any butterflies use them.

Kim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.