Butterflies must love red!!!!

Home Forums Gardening Bugs and Butterflies Butterflies must love red!!!!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by MDgreenery MDgreenery 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

If someone would tell me this, I would find it hard to believe…..but it’s true.

While I was watering the tomato plants which have to share their space with other plants, I was shocked to see come at me a Swallowtail and land on one side of my mouth. Guess when I opened my mouth, it flew away…quite quickly.  Don’t know why….I don’t have bad breath….LOL.

I’m just joshing here.  I do wear ultra red lipstick that is shiny.  The Swallowtail must have thought it was a flower…I think.  What other explanation is there.  Anyways, let’s just say that the experience  was something that never happened to me before.  Good thing I did not swallow it…..a pun on the word swallow….LOL

Does anyone have an explanation…..has it happened to you.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5272109 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

It loves red….. and you were handy…. what a neat experience….

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5272121 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Do you wear perfume; have a fragrant conditioner; use a scented moisturizer, soap, sunscreen or scented lip-gloss/lipstick?

I remember seeing a picture of a gentleman visiting a butterfly hot house printed in an older B&B magazine. He had about a dozen Paperwhites (butterflies) land on his bare head. I believe the wife & photographer suggested the butterflies were attracted to his shaving lotion & easy landing pad;-) Wish I still had that picture, it was enchanting b/c he looked so delighted & it was a one-of-a-kind moment.

Stella, it’s a good thing they didn’t leave any eggs on your lips…butterflies have been known to drop eggs off when necessary.

#5272196 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

MDgreenery you made me laugh…..I don’t think he had much time to do anything.  I think it was shocked that it made a mistake where it landed.

It may all sound funny, but boy what a great feeling when a butterfly chooses you to land when it has thousands of flowers around to feed on….LOL

Yes, I do wear perfume.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5272229 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

It certainly could have been checking out your red lipstick, Stella! I see this in the butterfly exhibit where I work – people wearing bright colors are more likely to have butterflies land on them. Butterflies taste with their feet (really!), so as soon as it landed, it would have known you weren’t a flower full of nectar. ;)

Some butterflies will land on humans in the summer to drink their sweat (they love the salts). Sometimes, we’re just a convenient resting place. It does always feel special when a butterfly alights on you, even if just for a moment. What a cool experience… thanks for sharing!

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5272238 Report Abuse

I think it just came to give you a little KISS.

#5272243 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

It is a sweet thing that happened to you Stella. I was just thinking what feathers said above, it is as if the butterfly was giving you kisses…many lovebirds talk about giving/receiving butterfly kisses but you had the real deal.

And I agree with you, catbirds & Jill about the red color. And now you know how to attract them when you want a butterfly kiss:-) Please let us know if it works for hummingbirds too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.