broghten r3ed negtar

Home Forums Birding Hummingbirds broghten r3ed negtar

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Gayle Gayle 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    waynebridges
    waynebridges
    Participant

I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT BROUGHTEN RED NETAR WILL KILL HUMMINGBIRD. IS THIS TRUE?

#5272620 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

No, probably not, (I don’t know if there has been an actual study done)  but…consider how small a hummer is (they weigh less than an ounce) do you really want to put artificial dyes in their food, especially when it causes so many problems in humans who weigh so much more?…

It is very simple to make your own nectar…use 4 parts water to one or 2 parts sugar, I shake mine in a jar with lid and store what I don’t use in the refrigerator.

Remember the ratio is 4:1 (but can be stronger when birds are leaving for migration or just returning)

* Perhaps our hummingbird expert (Mark aka txhummers) will tell us more.

#5272650 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

They don’t recommend using anything with dyes in it. I use Narians formula all the time.. I keep a couple cups made up and in the fridge.

And I do make it a bit stronger the last of September when they start migrating south…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5272657 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Natural nectar is colorless, and adding red dye to a hummingbird nectar recipe is simply adding one more chemical to the birds’ food – a chemical they do not need. Red dye has no nutritional value for the birds, and unofficial studies have not shown hummingbirds to have any significant preference for visiting feeders with red dye when compared to feeders offering clear nectar. Instead, the strength of the sugar solution and the cleanliness of the feeders are more instrumental in the birds’ feeding preferences.

The key point in deciding whether or not red dye is harmful to hummingbirds is this: there is no conclusive research saying the dye is dangerous to the birds, but there is also no long term research saying it is safe. When making a decision about red dye for nectar, many backyard birders prefer to be cautious and avoid unnecessary and potentially dangerous chemicals.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5272692 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

What is Broughten Red Nectar ?  I make my own but I do put red food coloring in it.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.