Bougainvillea

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat & Pictures Bougainvillea

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Gayle Gayle 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tinaintn7
    tinaintn7
    Participant

Does anyone grow these? I bought 1 about 3 years ago. The first couple of years it was beautiful. Last year it was leggy and didn’t look good. I pruned it way back, when I brought it in basement in oct. I don’t see any signs of life from the woody part of plant. But something came up in the pot. I don’t know what it is. If plant comes back, it would be on the branches, instead of shooting a plant up in pot right?

Im going to google and see what a seedling looks like. I probably killed it by pruning so far back.

photo tina1.gif

#5345758 Report Abuse
    Lair
    Lair
    Participant

I had mine for 17 years and never saw a seed anywhere on it.  You start them with cuttings, or at least that’s what they do in Mexico where they grow naturally.  Mine died last year when it was in the GH and I forgot to turn on the exhaust fan and it got over 100 for a few days.  I’m going to buy another one when it gets warmer this spring.  I would think it could sent up a shoot from the root even if the branches are dead.  Lair

#5345766 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I don’t know anything about them

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5345785 Report Abuse
    tinaintn7
    tinaintn7
    Participant

Lair, I did a lot of reading on them. And looking at pictures. What is coming up in pot looks nothing like the plant, or pictures. It also said to scratch the wood to see if there was any green. I checked, no signs of any green. Im not going to toss just yet. But I think its a goner. I will get another one this spring. This time im going to do cuttings, so if I lose the mother plant ill have some started. I don’t like the thorns, but its such a beautiful plant. I have to take the good with the bad. I just wish I had taken pictures of it.

photo tina1.gif

#5345917 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Tina, I have a long history with Bougainvilleas!!!!! Oh my! Let me begin. I love this plant…very much. So maybe about 18 to 20 years ago I made attempts a growing them. Of course I never looked them up to find out how to stop from losing them. So every year I bought one. It did well…until I would bring it indoors in the fall. Of course all the leaves would fall off by Christmas. So I figured it died. Out they went into the garbage. This went on for several years. Then one year I did the same thing only I decided to leave it bare, without the leaves but kept watering and fertilizing it until finally a tiny bit of green began showing up. I still have it. You have to remember I live in Canada and bougainvilleas are a tropical plant, and a fussy one.

This year I used the same method minus one step. It was the most important one. You cannot bring the plant permanently indoors. You have to began slowly getting it used to the indoors. So In the morning I brought it out into the sunshine, and in the evening into the house. Usually I would do it for a week. Not this year so the poor plant suffered a bit. Now it’s full of green leaves but no coloured petals. It’s now 15 years old. Here is a picture of the flower, but it’s really not the flower according to books.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5345928 Report Abuse
    tinaintn7
    tinaintn7
    Participant

Stella, that is beautiful. Im sure mine has bit the dust. But when I get 1 this spring I will remember to gradually get it used to the house. I think im going to try to start some cuttings from it before fall comes again. Have you had any success with cuttings? Im not tossing plant just yet, but im 99.9 percent sure its a gonner. Thanks for the advice and posting the picture.

photo tina1.gif

#5345943 Report Abuse
    Lair
    Lair
    Participant

I have a picture of mine when in bloom

the color looks washed out in the picture is was like this

#5345967 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Lairs, yours is a beautiful picture. I like the colour of yours. Mine began on the purple side, but turned into a deep reddish colour. I think I overfertilized it.

Tina, yes I took cuttings and gave one to my daughter. Her’s looks even nicer than mine, but she does not let it grow for lack of space.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5346010 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

OK, you convinced me.  I need one of these.  LOL  I always thought you could only grow them in the Deep South.   I know they grow them quite a bit in La.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.