Bohemian Waxwing New to area

Home Forums Birding Bird Pics Bohemian Waxwing New to area

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ladywolf4650 Ladywolf4650 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ladywolf4650
    Ladywolf4650
    Participant

I had the privilege this morning at approximately 9:45am to see a pair of Bohemian Waxwings in our tree gathering twigs for a nest.  Back on March 3, 2013 the Bohemian Waxwing was seen in Loveland, Colorado on the eastern side of the divide. The Loveland Reporter Herald picked up the story.

http://www.reporterherald.com/ci_22869572/rare-satiny-bohemian-waxwings-make-loveland-landing

Today is was amazing to see these two birds picking at twigs for a nest or nest improvement. I am surprised they have made it to here and they are surviving and thriving. I hope to see them more at my feeders. Here is a link to the 5 pictures I posted at photobucket.

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/Ladywolf4650/media/IMG_2032_zps6f0f04e2.jpg.html?filtersuser=140318944&filtersrecent=1&sort=1&o=0

So cool to see these birds thriving. I do not believe that this area is even close to their migratory path. I believe these birds have named this little town their home.

#5261913 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I am confused… this is a bohemian, I dont see the red underneath or the red of the head of the ones you have… am I wrong???

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5261914 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

And this is a cedar waxwing….

#5261916 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I see the ones in the news report are Bohemians.. are the other pics ones you took at your feeders?

#5261918 Report Abuse
    Ladywolf4650
    Ladywolf4650
    Participant

Okay I can see I got my birds mixed up again…I was taking into account that it’s almost out of breeding season and by and knowing of the news report in the newspaper…I am inclined to say that this is a cedar waxwing. Also a bird that is not commonly seen here where I live but am still glad they are here…thank you as always for putting my foot on the right path. Plus the pictures were taken in a very shady tree…I don’t want to start a controversy but it has to be one or the other. I am just very glad I got to see the birds. I apologize if I ruffled any feathers. That was not my intention.

#5261921 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

OH heck no ruffled feathers here…lolol.. I just want people to make sure they have what they have. 

I got into an argument on Facebook the other day.  Lady had bird in her tree… 5 or 6 of us were telling her what it was.  It was a white-breasted nuthatch…and she insisted it was a tufted titmouse… and we could not change her mind…even showing her our photos… heck I want someone to tell me what the bird is, to make sure.

I could have a bird to add to my life list ya know… :) ..

You have beautiful birds… we haven’t seen one this year… funny how some years there are trees full and others, nothing.

#5261928 Report Abuse
    Ladywolf4650
    Ladywolf4650
    Participant

I know what you mean and I really do. Sometimes people get into a mindset that what they see is what it is (facebook person). Even if you show them. Now I know for a fact when I go online to find a bird as I did with this one…the cedar waxwing, hope you agree, there was even a picture of a hummingbird with the cedar waxwing….so a person might think well this is the bird just a different color LOL it can happen. Both the Cedar and the Bohemian look a lot alike to the untrained eye and going by what was in the newspaper I was shocked to know this wasn’t a Bohemian but a Cedar….what the world!?! In anycase it is wonderful to share and see birds of any sort and to have people hear to bounce sightings off of so we can make those comparisons. Thank you for being a kind heart and sharing with me. ‘Til the next bird comes…I think I”ll find  Cyrano <b>de</b> Bergerac Redwing-Blackbird who happened by one day…..his beak was soooooooooooo long, very abnormal but he was thriving fully matured bird. WOW. I think I will post him…luckily I got him with a normal beak Redwing Blackbird so the difference can be seen. And it definitely wasn’t a twig LOL.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.