Bluebird houses

Home Forums Backyard Chat General Bluebird houses

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by blubird67_oh blubird67_oh 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bsaunders
    bsaunders
    Participant

Do you have one? The 2 I made some years ago were not with the right kind of wood it seems. They got cracks. I am looking to buy a new one but it is all confusing me. Materials are cedar, re-cycled plastic, bamboo etc. Small, long angled with a side door that opens to view the nestlings with a plastic shield to not not disturb them. Several brand names, the list goes on. I plan to put it on a post  towards the back of the yard where hopefully the sparrows wont bother them this year.

The cost is not a problem but under around $40 in the stores around here so no shipping. I am leaning towards the long angled cedar one with the doors and would like to buy it this week.  We had five BB’s come for the water all winter and they say that March is when they may pick the location for the new year. Do the birds really care about shape and color as long as it is safe from predators? Thanks, Bob

#5380644 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

It has to have a certain sized entry hole  Outside of that, I doubt that they care.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5380657 Report Abuse
    ma-shirley NC
    ma-shirley NC
    Participant

It has to have the right size hole,  has to be big enough and the hole has to be the right depth from the bottom. I forget what the dimensions are but you should be able to find out on Google. Mine are cedar and I have had them for over forty years. They are beginning to show wear so I need to buy some more.

photo siggy1.gif

#5380680 Report Abuse
    Janet
    Janet
    Participant

Go up to the TOP of this page you are on right now and it says BACKYARD PROJECTS across the top in BLUE….. click on that and on  the menu you  will see will have DIY instructions on how to build a bluebird house with dimensions etc. click on that and you will get some ideas.  Hope this helps.

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5380732 Report Abuse
    bsaunders
    bsaunders
    Participant

Thanks and I do have lots of plans. For the Eastern bluebirds the hole is 1 1/2 inches. Slightly bigger for the western or mountain ones.  I can buy cedar and make one but the barn is freezing cold to get out and set up the table saw and stuff. Bamboo is weather resistant and now they even offer flooring made from it. The recycled plastic looks good and will last forever, but cost more. I know that if you buy one from the Autobahn Society and such the profits go for a good cause.

We have a friend that makes general bird houses out of used plastic coffee cans. Gives them away. I see birds checking ours out. Bob

#5380737 Report Abuse

OhioLilacLady
    Participant

We have 3 bluebird houses that hubby built last year as well as 2 wren houses.

We have one on a pole in the back yard and the other 2 are on posts along the property line so that neighbors can enkoy them as well as we do. 

Yes, I believe that some birds do have preferences for their houses.

We had 3 bluebird families last year. Hubby buys meal worms for them and it is such fun to watch both parents care for and feed the fledglings.

They, like most birds, also love the bird bath…especially on a hot summer evening.

Marilyn

#5380744 Report Abuse
    blubird67_oh
    blubird67_oh
    Participant

I actually got very crazy about bluebirds several years ago and have built several boxes.  Here is a link to the style of house I built.  The boxes I built  are getting old too and I would like to build some new ones this year.  I have not priced wood, but this time I want to use cedar or red wood.  If you have had bluebirds coming all winter, that is wonderful.  I would say get a house up quick and just make sure the hole is the proper size.  This link talks about a window, I did not do that.

http://www.constructiongear.com/stovall-wood-ultimate-bluebird-house-with-window.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.