Blister Beetles

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Blister Beetles

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by narnian narnian 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

Last year was the first year I have grown asters. I love them!

This year I am having a terrible battle with black blister beetles…they eat all the petals off…and from what I have read, they secrete a poison that blisters your skin if you handle them. I have been picking them off 2 or 3 times a day with a huge pair of craft tweezers, then dropping them in soapy water…it kills them quickly, but I have killed dozens of them now! Anyone else fighting with these creatures this year?

#5278881 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I’ve never had those.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5278916 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

No thanks!  Hope you can get rid of them.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5278919 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I had never heard of them, so I just did a quick google search.  I suppose you have done that already.  I am surprised that horseradish spray will keep them away…here is some info in case you haven’t read it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4430986_control-blister-beetles.html

So they must be the reason that your healthy aster died all of a sudden? If you need more aster seeds for next year, I know where you can get some….lol. Be careful when removing them….sounds like you tweezer method is a good idea. Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5278927 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

Charlene…the blister beetles are only in the back yard…they haven’t touched the ones in the front…I check several times a day. No, it was ants that caused the plant to fall over, they had made the soil so sandy…and the roots were really short, maybe the ants were eating them? I don’t think they do that, but anyway…I think I am winning the battle here. ( the asters in the back yard are less than half the size of those in front….I guess I will get more compost for the back yard)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.