Birds eating bugs in the garden

Home Forums Birding Your Bird Stories (aka Bird Tales) Birds eating bugs in the garden

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by MDgreenery MDgreenery 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

In the latest issue of B&B Extra there is an amazing picture of a Tree Swallow (on page 26) carrying what appears to be at least a half dozen or more live bugs in/on  its bill & head. The article written by, Sally Roth is all about the ‘Fastest Birds’; fastest at various things with the TS listed as the fastest at catching bugs.

Had no idea just how efficient & helpful these birds are until quite coincidentally  I read through the ‘New Complete Home Landscaping’  book recently. On page 158, the author, Catriona Tudor Erler says, that researchers in North Carolina “noticed that sparrows and goldfinches ate a million grain aphids a day while feeding on 100 acres of grain fields.” Erler also says: “Wrens will feed each of their fledglings as many as 500 insects in an afternoon, and redstarts feed their young a minimum of 1,200 bugs daily [!]”

Reading the two topics so close together made me believe & appreciate what I watched in the garden yesterday as the birds seemed to be plucking bugs(?) off of the recently planted flowers.

It looked as though they enjoyed quite a feast.

#5277702 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I have no trouble with mosquitos in my yard and I know it’s because of my birds.

#5277831 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Oh my, how I wish I could say the same here, Hiker. Although we were very happy to see the giant mosquito eater hanging out on the balcony with us one day after a rain storm:-)

Welcome back Hiker! It’s been awhile since I’ve seen you post. Hope all is well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.