BirdingPal: Ever tried it? What do you think?

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As BirdingPal: Ever tried it? What do you think?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by MDgreenery MDgreenery 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

My husband recently mentioned coming across a site on the web called BirdingPal (http://www.birdingpal.org/). The idea of the site is for birding enthusiasts to be able to find each other and get together. Experienced birders offer their time (for free!) in various locations to folks coming to town or living nearby. I checked out the site and learned this:

Birding Pal is well established global website for traveling birders to contact local birders. We can help you find information about birdwatching and someone to go with. We list local birdwatchers, from around the world, who are willing to go birdwatching with you… You do not need to be an expert birder to contact a Pal. These are serious birdwatchers and they want to help… A Birding Pal does not get paid. However, should they offer to take you out birding using their own vehicle, it would be courteous to pay for the fuel. A lunch and/or a small gift would also be appropriate. Something as simple as a souvenir of your country, or a pin from your local birding club.

I looked around and found several dozen people in places around Florida who are willing to get together with other like-minded folks to show them the area. Pretty cool! Have any of you ever tried this? Would you consider it? I’m curious to hear your thoughts.

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5268683 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

I’d never heard of this until I read your post. It sounds like a nice idea. I would love to do something like this with butterflies~like a butterfly buddy and/or tour guide.

I often read about what the local professional butterfly trackers are spotting or not seeing & in which areas in & out of town…would love to tag along with them one day.

Maryland Public Television recently aired a program in which 2 scientists were scoping the usual area for certain butterflies & how disappointing the counts were.

But back to your original topic. Yes, I would very much like to visit an open area where I am likely to see a free flying Kestrel as I’ve only seen these beauties in rehab & injured. But that little guy had so much spunk & life left in him it was difficult to see him confined.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.