Bird Quiz 11

Home Forums Birding What is this bird? Bird Quiz 11

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Junior Barnes Junior Barnes 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

How good are you folks at hawk ID’s when you can’t see the fron of it? One major clue should give this one away.

This bird was photographed in Ohio around late February.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#5121304 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Whatever the name of this hawk……he/she sure is a handsome bird!  Talk about a fancy pose…..!

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5121607 Report Abuse
    njeagle7
    njeagle7
    Participant

Looks like my “Cooper’s”. Beautiful shot, Junior!

~Annie in NJ~

#5123076 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Please don’t laugh!  Could it be a Merlin?

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5123344 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

I agree that this is a Cooper’s….Is this the same bird that is your avatar?

Gorgeous bird! There was one in the neighbor’s tree close to my house the other day screaming it’s head off! I never did find out what for. I even took a photo of it…but I just don’t have a good enough camera…he looks a mile away. (someday I need to get a good lens for this camera…it is a Nikon D3000, which takes great pics, but needs something for distance)

Linda Z

Junior…thanks for these quizzes, I think they are fun! We learn something too!

#5123488 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

Sorry for the delayed reply, everyone. I have been extremely busy this week. And yes… You all guessed it. It is a Cooper’s hawk. As for the clue I mentioned, a Cooper’s hawk can be differentiated from the smaller but nearly identical sharp-shinned hawk by their tail feathers. Cooper’s have rounded tailfeathers while sharp-shinned hawks have more squar-shaped tail feathers.

Narian- Thanks! I enjoy doing these quizzes, and yes, this is the same bird as in my avatar. I wrote about this hawk here last January (2013) because it crashed into my window (how else would I get such good close-ups? ;) )  As a recap, I was inmy bedroom when I heard an extremely loud crash downstairs. It was so loud that I thought a window had been broken by somthing (the idea that came to mind was my mischievous dog). I sped downstairs in time to see this:

photo DSC02359_zps9cf26d3f.jpg

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.