Bird of the Week (6/29/2014): Canada Goose

Home Forums Birding Your Bird Stories (aka Bird Tales) Bird of the Week (6/29/2014): Canada Goose

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Hiker07_IL_5 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Canada Day is coming up this week (July 1), so it seems like the right week to feature the Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)!

The Canada Goose is found in pretty much all of the U.S. and Canada at some time during the year, with the exception of peninsular Florida. (Map via Cornell Lab of Ornithology)

This bird is instantly identifiable, and sometimes found in such numbers as to be considered a pest. In the fall and again in early spring, they take to the skies in the traditional “V” formation, giving their distinctive call that gives them the nickname “honkers”. They breed in spring, producing large flocks of goslings that both male and female help to parent. In fact, adult geese lose their flight feathers (molt) at this time, rendering them flightless until about the time their offspring learn to fly.

Canada Geese eat mainly green vegetation and grains, though they are known to eat some insects and small fish. They are often seen in the fall gleaning fallen kernels from corn and wheat fields after the harvest. The Canada Goose population was once in trouble, believe it or not, due to overhunting and habitat loss, but they have recovered dramatically over the last 50 years or so.

We’re talking Canada Geese all week long, so give us your favorite Canada Goose facts and stories here, and share some photos if you have them! (Need help posting photos? Click here.)

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5159039 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I agree, they can be pests at times.  On the other hand, the V formation gives us so much joy as we all know here up north that spring is coming.  What a nice way to advertise.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5159049 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Beautiful geese so far… I have a few to contribute..

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5159146 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Sharon – Is that Canada Goose TONGUE I see in those photos? How funny!

Stella – Lovely shots. Your bird photography practice is really paying off!

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5159523 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Jill, the day I got these shots those two kept honking and hissing at me.  I guess I was disturbing them.  lol

#5159535 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

#5159536 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I caught these at a neighboring lake…

#5159609 Report Abuse
    oldgirl06
    oldgirl06
    Participant

The giant Canada goose was thought to be extinct till a small flock was found in Rochester, Minnesota in 1962.

Here is one handsome fellow.   They are so tame here that they will take pieces of bread right out of our hands.  He came up to my car to get a piece of bread from me.
     photo IMG_0226.jpg
    He had just eaten the bread.
     photo IMG_0227.jpg
    Some years ago, we had about 30,000 geese winter over at a lake in our city.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, MN

#5159620 Report Abuse
    IdellaPearl
    IdellaPearl
    Participant

Idella Pearl Edwards

Author of:
    LOOK AT THE BIRDS,
    God's Love Revealed Through Nature (devotional)
    (Available at Amazon in softcover and hardback)

#5159628 Report Abuse
    Donna
    Donna
    Participant

Great pics everyone.

Family pic  :)

Donna_Canada_Z_5

#5159680 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I don’t have any pics to share but when I lived in N Alabama we lived on a lake…some would spend the winter there and there were barrels for nesting anchored in the lake. It was so fun to watch the babies hatch and follow Mama onto the water. I do see them flying over spring and fall here and once this spring I was driving home from town and there was a flock of them in a drainage ditch.They must have found minnows or worms in the water there.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5159694 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Saw lots of them today when I went out to my favorite county park. I sat down on a bench in the shade and watched them for awhile.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.