Bird feeder setup

Home Forums Birding Feeding Birds Bird feeder setup

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by dena1123 dena1123 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

I was just wondering how everyone sets up their feeding stations.

As for mine, I have a stump about 8 feet tall with various branches left sticking out in all directions with a different feeder on every branch. I will post a photo tomorrow. I have a hopper and suet feeder on one branch, a hanging tray feeder on another, another hopper feeder, and an enclosed tube feeder to keep those pesky starlings away. Also my second suet feeder which I only fill in harsh weather.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#4995896 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Junior I guess you saw my new feeder on the PVC pipe. So far its keeping the tree rats off. I also put  a suet cage in a tree. The tree rats have been visiting it but they can’t get a lot at a time so we’ll see how that goes. Of course its almost grackle season here now and when they come I have no choice but to cut way back on the seed I put in the feeders.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#4996527 Report Abuse

trudy1180
    Participant

Well I assume you went to the Duncraft link and if so that is exactly the baffled pole I have and  I have a thistle feeder, a feeder for my black oil sunflowers, my suet feeder and also I put my grape jelly dish on it. Have done this since I got the pole. And as I mentioned have only one time seen a squirrel try to jump and get up to where the feeders are hanging with absolutely no luck at all. I started out putting them on branches in our trees, and constantly found the feeders on the ground due to squirrels. I feed the squirrels, I have a corn cob feeder and a flat feeder where I place cracked corn far away from where any of my bird feeders are, and this has worked very well for me. Then of course I also have two bird baths. I do not have many birds in the winter, woodpeckers and blue jays, afew cardinals and junco’s. Starting in April the songbirds and numerous other birds I get every year will start to arrive. Cannot wait.

#4998296 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

This is the set up I still have today. The morning glory flowers are dead but I left them on this year for seeds to eat. It consists of 3 cattle panels cut in half for the sides and top, and the old swing set frame in the front. I have a few things moved around and more feeders out, but still remaining the same format. I like the black plastic down on the ground, because I can sweep up all the hulls from the BOSS. DH built the box cage to hang feeders inside. It’s suspended from the cow panels, and is held up from the long board in the middle. I cut out 1.5 x 1.5 holes for the birds to go in and out of the long box. It has a hinged door on the backside so I can open it to fill feeders. It really torments the squirrels! SNICKERING!!!

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by bwatcher bwatcher.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by bwatcher bwatcher.
    #4998449 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Great set up you have there… old swingsets work wonderful … hubby has made 4 hook and 6 hook feeders… love being able to keep most of the feeders in one spot..

I do hang suet in my crabapple tree, as the only thing that tries to get it is the outdoor kitty someone dumped on us…

My neighbor lady has a big ear of corn out all the time so the squirrels go there…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#4998701 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

Here is a photo of my feeder setup:
    <p style=”text-align: center;”></p>

#5103012 Report Abuse
    onetuffgoob
    onetuffgoob
    Participant

Hey!  Just joined the community.

Great feeder arrangements posted.  :)

I have a large picture window in my dining room which provides me a nice, though fractional view of my deck and backyard/woods.  Because I have a backyard with wooded acreage, I have a wonderful variety of birds, and a fair variety of feeders.  I have a mesh feeder with dried mealworms (not getting attention yet), a peanut suet feeder, suet cake cage, two shallow hanging ones, a long finch feeder (doesn’t attract finches though), a thistle seed sock, and a clay dish on patio table.

The feeders populate my deck area primarily b/c I installed a framed/covered gazebo a few years ago, but storms destroyed the cover over time.  Left the frame up with the plan to order new cover, and the birds absolutely LOVE landing all over it now.   No cover in my future, I guess.   I am hoping to attract even more birds.

Squirrels can be annoying, but they haven’t been around as much this year.
    :D

#5103669 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I have feeders all over my yard. Had them leave 14 ft. of my old Maple when they cut it down and have hangers on the side of it plus one platform feeder, son put lots of bird houses and shelters on the top. Lost all my branches because they had fallen off the tree before I decided it was to dangerous to keep. My new trees out front are just beginning to have a few branches I can use. During the winter I hang non-messy feeders from the top of the porch.

#5103711 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

Welcome, onetuffgoob, and hello there, Hiker07!

#5103759 Report Abuse
    onetuffgoob
    onetuffgoob
    Participant

Thank you for the welcome, Junior Barnes.

#5105273 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

Since I am very limited as far as windows, trees etc., I only have one hanging feeder and one suet feeder, both off the same, very old Maple tree.  Perfect for viewing and photography.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.