Berry Producing Bushes For The Birds

Home Forums Birding Your Bird Stories (aka Bird Tales) Berry Producing Bushes For The Birds

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by steve232__nc steve232__nc 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

With all the cold weather we’ve had this winter I’m sure the birds are glad for our feeders and suet that we offer them. I also have noticed that blue birds and mockingbirds are enjoying the berries from my Foster’s Holly.

I also have some blueberry bushes in my yard and the birds really do enjoy those in the summer soon as they ripen. Also my crabapple tree seems to be of interest to birds such as catbirds. Any my dogwood trees are loved by quiet a few birds when the berries ripen in the late summer. What kind of bushes or trees are in your yard that the birds are attracted to ?

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#4829443 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

The Baltimore and Orchard Orioles love the flowers on my tulip trees. The mockingbirds, bluebirds, cedar waxwings, etc. love my Washington hawthorn bushes (and their flowers are pretty darn fragrant in early spring). I have no idea what gobbles up my raspberries, but I am lucky to get any off of my bush by my garden. That’s all I can think of at the moment. lol

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#4874011 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I wonder what happened with my Viburnum. The first year it produced berries I saw Robins feasting on them. Then never again. I wonder if they are poisonous.

photo IMG_0559.jpg

Stella
    Community Team Member

#4877248 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Stella from everything I have read about viburnum bushes the birds should love those berries.

Community Team Member

#4910360 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I have a viburnum bush that has berries but the birds eat them in the fall so none are ever left for winter and the same for my burning bush.  I have flowering crab tree and that has good sized green apples on it but never all eaten by the birds.  I don’t know if the deer eat them while browsing through my yard in winter or not.  Can’t see them from the house and the deer browse mostly at night after dark anyway.  So the birds here rely on the bird seed and suet.  The lady at Tractor Supply said they sell so much seed that she wonders if the birds aren’t just so used to bird feeders that they can no longer find their own food if they ever had to.  I suppose that is true anymore, but never gave it much thought.  Sure makes it easier for the birds in the meantime anyway!

#4932882 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Posy I have read that even with our feeders birds still get the majority of their food from the wild anyway.

Community Team Member

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.