Attracting variety of birds

Home Forums Birding Feeding Birds Attracting variety of birds

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Posynut_NY_zone4 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

shamlyn
    Participant

I live in the ‘coastal bend’ of Texas and have just one feeder in front of my townhouse.  I get a million sparrows feeding every day and almost nothing else.  Is it because of the type of seed I am feeding or the quantity?

#5099556 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Welcome to the boards…. I hope you come back not just for questions but for all the great photos, and stories we all share..If you gave anything with corn in it they will be there… try just sunflower… you will get more and better birds…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5099570 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Sharon is right.  I used to buy the mixed seeds, but no more.  The best are BOSS seeds.  I also like nyger seeds for the goldfinches.  Seems the juncos have taken a shine to nyger as well.

By the way, a warm welcome to the birding forum.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5099647 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

BOSS doesn’t stop my sparrows! My nicer birds have learned to feed in my front yard because there aren’t as many out there.

#5099690 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

If you don’t want sparrows, you should avoid millet, milo, wheat, corn, and black-oil sunflower seeds. I would reccomend safflower seed. However, due to its unique flavor and extremely hard shell, some birds that you do want to attract do not like it. Cardinals are a big fan of it, however.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#5109949 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I use safflower seed a lot, some finch seed that is a blend (not nyger), seed for songbirds, and fruit and nut seed, and BOSS.  Ear corn for squirrels in the corn holders.  I don’t use corn for birdfeeding.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.