Are you growing any kind of heirloom tomatoes?

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening Are you growing any kind of heirloom tomatoes?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by margba margba 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I wanted to try more than one variety this yr, but only ended up getting one kind in my garden this yr.  Its called Abe Lincoln!  That sounded pretty cool!  Only paid $1 for it at the plant stand, too!  The guy who owns & ran the plant stand was real excited about this tom plant, so how could it not go home w/ me that day!  Its growing pretty good, too!

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by margba margba.
    #5157435 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Of course I have more than 1 tom plant in my garden this yr!  I have a grand total of 8, incl the volunteer one & I potted 1 tom plant, also.  Cant wait for them to ripen!  Of course, happens that I am moving now, too!

#5157590 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Marg, I grow nothing but heirloom tomatoes.  I have 3 varieties with 3 dozen of each in the ground.  My favorite is an Italian paste that came originally from Italy and as far as I know can’t be purchased.  It has been handed down from generation to generation and shared with friends.  That is the tomato that Steve and I are talking about on the NY verses NC tomato thread.

I also grow delicious and Worley red.  Worley is what they call a Oxheart tomato.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5157597 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I will try to save thec Abe Lincoln seeds.  That is neat about your tomato paste variety, Bette!  Thanks for the nice reply!  Since I am in transition, getting ready to kove this summer, I didnt plant as much as I would have liked!  Always next year, Lord willing!

#5157676 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I started Mortgage tomatoes this year. The story goes that the man who first grew them raised tomatoes that were so large that he sold enough of them so that he paid off his mortgage.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5157773 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I looked that tomato up Wendy.  Sounds like a big producer however it is a 95 day tomato which wouldn’t work here.  Otherwise I would have tried it.  Please let us know how they do for you or are these the ones that you raised for a friend?

photo signature_3.gif

#5158125 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

The only heirloom tomato I’m growing this year is a couple of German Johnson’s. I grew them a couple of years ago and I thought they did have better flavor than most other tomatoes. Well I am also growing some of the Italian paste tomatoes and looking forward to soon sinking my teeth into one of them.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5261370 Report Abuse

Just Mari
    Participant

I think I did a really silly thing.  I bought a tomato plant labeled “heirloom tomato” That’s it.  That’s all the tag said. It’s the strangest looking plant.  It’s leaves are like no other tom. leaves I have ever seen before. Is this normal? 

#5261432 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Mari, there are some tomato plants that have what they call potato leaf tomatoes.  The leaves will look more like a potato plant than a tomato.

photo signature_3.gif

#5261457 Report Abuse

Just Mari
    Participant

This does!  Good thing I asked.  I was thinking I might yank it but I’ll wait & see what it produces.  Thanks!

#5261464 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Brandywine is one of the most popular potato leaf heirloom tomatoes.

photo signature_3.gif

#5261473 Report Abuse

Just Mari
    Participant

I hope it’s Brandywine, but I have no idea.  Silly me for buying something that’s not labeled any better.  It’s probably a 250 day one! lol

#5261493 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I don’t think any of them are much over 90 days.

photo signature_3.gif

#5261495 Report Abuse

Just Mari
    Participant

kidding!!!!! lol

#5261645 Report Abuse

albertagran
    Participant

I have a large Manitoba bush tomato that is almost ready to pick.  Yum.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.