Anyone have any friendly garden critters you enjoy?

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening Anyone have any friendly garden critters you enjoy?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by margba margba 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

belle_pa
    Participant

Just thinking it’s been a long time since I saw a toad.  My dh use to have a friendly hawk that followed his tractor when he mowed.   We have a friendly mockingbird we enjoy when sitting on the porch in the evening.  He sits on top the barn silo and sings to us.  It’s such fun to watch him jump and do loops above the silo.

#5267593 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

Belle, I brought min in last Aug.  It is a small garden snail.  Was told by one who had 3 in outside terarium – lettuce was a favorite food. Then 2 months later I found a new book at the library.

The sound of the wild snail eating.  Very helpful – got more moss and that seemed to make Sam happier.  But he likes to eat at night.

An interesting face – they are bisexual – so he can lay eggs and does. I now have 4 sizes of Jr.s  They start out the size of a pencil dot  – and grow. For a while I could tell the 2 larger ones apart – but not any more.  The little ones like to come out in the daytime.

Love to put the lettuce pieces on the side of the bowl. Then i CAN see the underside.  They have fangs the claw the food inside. Upper and lower. When he would get a little scrap left it would wiggle from side to side. That explained that.

His bowl is on printer beside the screen so I can look over and see where they move. About as slow as my computer.

One day the lettuce leaf had an inch worm on it – so I put him in. Then I went out and sprayed the plant. Got a smaller one in. The first grew from 1/4″ to over and inch. He has eaten all of the baby tears. There was a little one and I took him out and in another bowl.

I called the big one Ike. Had wooden toys called Crazy Ikes.  They snapped together to make animals with legs and heads. Ike would stand (cling) to a plant and stick the front part of body out and all around. Like crazy.  When I find him again – he may be robin food.  I Googled ‘inch worm’ and was surprised how much info. One was drawings to show the feet, 4 in front and 4 behind.  They considered it a good thing to bring in and watch. How fun was that?

Used to have a toad  – but Gertie the garter snake keeps all of those animals out of garden. Saw her early in spring when it was cooler and she liked to come out and sun on the warm rocks. Have not seen her for a while.

<*)~// Tealbird

#5267709 Report Abuse

belle_pa
    Participant

Alma,  are your snails bare like slugs or do they have shells?  I know you said you got it under a pot.

I can’t imagine naming a garter snake but I like her name,  Gertie.   When working as a care giver many yrs ago up at the base of a mountain I had a client who had a black snake living in the screened in porch.  It could go and come.  My first day there the snake lay over the threshold that I could not go in without walking over the snake.   I am not a snake lover so I had to call for help.    On the other hand I went to a home where a turkey gobbler tried to attack me and the client found me at the door holding the gobbler by his legs.  They laughed at me and said they had never seen that before with any visitor.

#5267710 Report Abuse
    mary
    mary
    Participant

I have a regular male red cardinal that comes on the patio to eat his broken up pieces of peanut,he knows when i put it out early evening,while sitting in the recliner I whistle to him and he answers back between mouthfuls,Mary in KY

#5267713 Report Abuse

belle_pa
    Participant

Oh Mary,  I’d love your cardinal.   I never had a cardinal friend.  We had them come to feeders at Mother’s but never had a special one like that.  I keep trying to have a relationship with our mockingbird but he seems to be a loner.  He flies up on the silo and sings to us and flies away at will.  He does seem to come when we go to porch in eve but does not respond to our whistles or my flute playing.  He may actually be leaving when I begin to play.

As a girl at home on the farm we had a mockingbird who would imitate what we whistled.  This one seems just plain dumb.

#5267924 Report Abuse
    mary
    mary
    Participant

Belle. that was funny about you playing the flute and he leaving! Mary in KY

#5269028 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Some cardinals were coming to the trees right by my bedroom window at my old place!  Dont hear them yet around here.  I kind of favor my catbirds & wrens!   If I hear them, i always talk to them!  Lol!  Also like the owls when they are around!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.