Anyone Ever Started Seeds in Eggshells?

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds Anyone Ever Started Seeds in Eggshells?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by takyslaky takyslaky 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

I’ve occasionally seen articles on the web about starting seeds in eggshells, and was wondering if any of you have ever tried it?

Here’s an example: http://www.pallensmith.com/index.php?id=1052

Photo from P. Allen Smith website article

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5118576 Report Abuse

joan1___Alabama
    Participant

no, I have used the empty egg carton though and it work out well.

#5118578 Report Abuse
    Tennduckie
    Tennduckie
    Participant

I saw this too Jill and tried it but mine was not to successful …may of been just me .. But I took the carton and cleaned the shells , and planted the seeds some came up but I lost them .. seemed like it wasnt enough dirt ???

#5118790 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Empty yogurt cups or cottage cheese containers work good for planting seeds in.

I used to watch P. Allen Smith program when gardening shows were on TV.  We never get any of those anymore and HGTV cut out all gardening shows some years ago.  I enjoyed all of those and learned a lot from them.

#5119117 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! With Easter approaching, I’m trying to brainstorm some egg-related projects for the Birds & Blooms blog. I’ve heard about this but never tried it, so I thought I’d ask around. I have some seeds lying around to start (nothing exciting,  just some basic zinnias), so maybe I’ll give this a try and if it doesn’t work out, no big deal.

Posy – Yes, the “G” in HGTV apparently no longer stands for “Garden”. Everybody just wants to watch shows where rich people make over their bathrooms… ;)

Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5119145 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I would probably break them trying  to plant in them or moving them around.  I have tried the egg cartons but that didn’t work well for me.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5119936 Report Abuse
    Sandy K.
    Sandy K.
    Participant

I would think that it might work for a smaller seed but a Zinnia grows fast and has a long root even as a seedling  would there be room in an egg shell for them ? 

Sandy K.

Find more about Weather in Lupton, MI

#5119941 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Hmmm, good point, Sandy. Thanks for the reminder!

Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5123781 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

Try some blanket flower seed Jill.  They come up close to the soil and their roots would probably fill the egg shell.  You want something that would root good in the shell.  I have not tried it and if you try it I hope it works out for you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.