Any chance getting photo tips here?

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As Any chance getting photo tips here?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Stelios Stelios 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I might sound like a broken record, but I’m wondering if some of you might like to share some photo tips with folks like me who are really beginners in small time photography.  I know there are several sites to look into, but it might be a nice way to share here.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5036591 Report Abuse
    Mary Dolan
    Mary Dolan
    Keymaster

Great question. This might be a good place to start: http://www.birdsandblooms.com/birding/bird-photography/

Hopefully some others will have some suggestions as well. Good luck!

Mary / Community Co-Manager / mary_dolan@rd.com

#5070338 Report Abuse
    theLark_IN_5
    theLark_IN_5
    Participant

`http://www.birdsandblooms.com/blog/expert-bird-photography-tips/

photo larkiegif.gif

#5070342 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

There are some tips on those sites… just remember one pic isnt going to do it.. you might have to take 6 or a dozen to get a good one.  I have to keep telling myself that all the time.  Hubby says I don’t click enough..lolol..

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5070364 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

I can spend an entire afternoon photographing birds and come out with only 3-4 super good photos. Well, I’m off to photograph now! Got 7″ of snow last night ontop of the 4″ we already had along with 3/4″ of ice from last week.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#5097846 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

I agree with everyone – take as many photos as you can and then learn how to use some basic editing software (I like Picasa – it’s free and pretty easy to use) so you can crop photos to their best advantage.

Also, learn how to use at least a few basic features and settings on your camera, like a macro setting for close-up shots, and see if your camera has a “continuous shooting” mode where you can hold down the button and the camera just keeps taking photos. This is a great way to take photos of “moving targets”, which birds usually are.

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5099695 Report Abuse
    Brian J
    Brian J
    Participant

Like others have said, You have to learn what your camera can and cant do, use it, use it some more and then use it again. I to will go out to shoot pics all day for only a few keepers, that’s the fun for me, trying to get a bird in focus, good light and a perfect pose. Do you have any specific questions in mind? What camera do you use?

Have a wonderful day and feel free to check out more of my photography here,
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/53805123@N05/

#5099717 Report Abuse
    njeagle7
    njeagle7
    Participant

Everybody…..please listen to Brian J…

The reason I appreciate/love his photos is because they don’t look ‘painted’. ‘Painted  Bird Photos’ turn me off.

Right now, I am using a Canon PowerShot SX50 HS…very happy with it. I may not be getting ‘Award Winning’ shots with it…but, I have seen (from others) what this ‘cam’ is capable of.

Anyway…..doesn’t matter to me…it’s all about ‘composition’…

Behind every one of your ‘Bird Photos’ (whether, you consider, good or bad)….. I see/find a ‘story’…..that’s all that matters to me.

I  love ‘ALL’ your photos of Birds, posted, here!

~Annie in NJ~ aka jerseytweeter at…

http://www.youtube.com/user/jerseytweeter/videos?view=0&flow=grid

#5100252 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

I use a blind to get closer to my subjects because my camera only has 30x optical zoom, which isn’t much when you’re trying to photograph a small bird.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#5100342 Report Abuse
    Brian J
    Brian J
    Participant

That is a good trick Junior, I need to get a new blind this spring (Wind killed my other one) I do the same thing sometimes, other times I just sit quietly as near my feeders as I can without disturbing the birds and catch them on the way to the feeder. I also have a suet feeder and thistle feeder on my deck that attracts lots of visitors, I have some dead branches that are in between the woods and the feeders and the birds almost always land on the branches on their way to lunch, that way I can present a photo that looks like a bird in its natural environment even though it is only inches from a feeder. I enjoy going out to places that I have never seen (near water) and just sit (wearing bland colors or camo), walking nature trails and looking for bird activity, then patiently wait for the birds to reappear for me. I have also spent some time shooting through my living room window (when its too cold) but not the best bet to get quality shots in my humble opinion, though it can be done with pretty good results.

Have a wonderful day and feel free to check out more of my photography here,
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/53805123@N05/

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Brian J Brian J.
    #5102723 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

All your suggestions are great.  Yes, I would need a lot of practice.  From what I gather, it takes many shots to get what you want.  Looks like I will be spending many hours this summer taking pictures.

I agree with Jill, I have to learn more about my camera.  Right now I’m into renovations.  That’s great because my spring cleaning will be finished and the minute the weather warms out…I’m out of here…LOL.  This will be my first spring documenting migrating birds.  I am so looking forward having fun chasing birds….LOL.

Brian, I narrowed it down to Sharon’s Canon and the Sony DSC HX300.  Well I got the Sony.  Somehow I did not see myself fiddling with attachments (lens).  I figured I won’t be climbing trees either.  So my objective is to capture birds at around 50/100 feet.  It’s not a difficult camera to use.  Sure there are lots of buttons and I have a way to go to learn each one of them.  I’ll get it in the end.

What I really want to do right is the lighting.  I notice with my Canon Cyber Shot that dusk was the best time to get a good picture of flowers.  Now as for birds I needed the sun.  Otherwise the bird’s colours looked somewhat greyish…for a better word.  I would also like to learn how to take birds at a distance.  I mean they are skittish so they get frightened easily.  Brian if I had your camera, I would focus and zoom easily.  I won’t be able to get shots like yours that is for sure.  Not with the camera I did buy.  Maybe I should have bought one like Sharons’.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5102724 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

All your suggestions are great.  Yes, I would need a lot of practice.  From what I gather, it takes many shots to get what you want.  Looks like I will be spending many hours this summer taking pictures.

I agree with Jill, I have to learn more about my camera.  Right now I’m into renovations.  That’s great because my spring cleaning will be finished and the minute the weather warms out…I’m out of here…LOL.  This will be my first spring documenting migrating birds.  I am so looking forward having fun chasing birds….LOL.

Brian, I narrowed it down to Sharon’s Canon and the Sony DSC HX300.  Well I got the Sony.  Somehow I did not see myself fiddling with attachments (lens).  I figured I won’t be climbing trees either.  So my objective is to capture birds at around 50/100 feet.  It’s not a difficult camera to use.  Sure there are lots of buttons and I have a way to go to learn each one of them.  I’ll get it in the end.

What I really want to do right is the lighting.  I notice with my Canon Cyber Shot that dusk was the best time to get a good picture of flowers.  Now as for birds I needed the sun.  Otherwise the bird’s colours looked somewhat greyish…for a better word.  I would also like to learn how to take birds at a distance.  I mean they are skittish so they get frightened easily.  Brian if I had your camera, I would focus and zoom easily.  I won’t be able to get shots like yours that is for sure.  Not with the camera I did buy.  Maybe I should have bought one like Sharons’.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5102725 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Sorry about the duplicate.  Boy this site is running fast.  I barely touched the key!

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5103169 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Another question I have.  Many of your photos have that bright blue background.  Is that natural or do you use the edit function to get it that blue.  Let’s say I see a bird I want to take a picture.  Somehow I get a wishy washy background.  I would like to get that deep blue.  Does this happen when it’s a sunny day, or do you use a special setting on the camera?

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5103170 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Oh my!!!!  I just peeked at the Bird Photography on B&B.  Wow!  Looks like someone is going to be spending lots of time reading the comments and suggestions on bird photography.  Where was I all this time!  I can’t wait.  Maybe I’ll learn something.  Mind you, all input from you will be appreciated.

Stella
    Community Team Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.