Any Advice?

Home Forums Birding Feeding Birds Any Advice?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Junior Barnes Junior Barnes 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    KScarlettMom
    KScarlettMom
    Participant

I have a beautiful pair of mockingbirds that I have been feeding shelled sunflowers.  They wait in the morning for me to put the seed out (I usually just spread it on the deck railing).  The problem is, the starlings come also and are eating me out of house and home.  I can figure no way to provide seed for the mockingbirds that would keep starlings away.  Any feeder the mockingbirds can perch on, so can the starlings.

Anyone have any advice on how to feed the mockingbirds.  Perhaps there is something I could feed them that the starlings won’t eat?  I just love these mockingbirds!

Jan
    Kentucky

#5123210 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Try putting food out for the starlings on the other side of the house… even old bread or popcorn… that way they will eat it and you can feed the mockingbirds… try it.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5123235 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Jan I’m just happy to find someone else that likes mockingbirds besides me. Most people consider them to be too aggressive. Hope you can find a way to keep the starlings away but they eat pretty much anything.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5123311 Report Abuse
    KScarlettMom
    KScarlettMom
    Participant

Thanks, Sharon….unfortunately, I’ve tried that, they just eat both places.  I try to think of the way starlings do their murmuration thing and how beautiful that is…like a ballet in the sky….to help me not begrudge how much they eat!

Steve, I think mockingbirds are so beautiful…sort of stately looking.  And there are more of us!  I discovered a neighbor who lives about a mile away has a pair that always nest in her yard and she loves them, too!

Jan
    Kentucky

#5123337 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

You could try feeding starlings food they like better in the other feeder (bread crumbs, suet, etc,) and feeding chopped fruit…apples, raisins that have been soaked in water, etc. where you normally feed the mockingbirds and perhaps they will have a chance.

PSSST: Steve, I like mockingbirds,too….It’s just that they do not live in the Northern part of out state (at least I have never seen any) but we had them in Southern Indiana where I grew up.

Linda Z

#5123341 Report Abuse
    Brian J
    Brian J
    Participant

I don’t mind having them, we have a pair that have nested in our yard for the last few years, the only thing I cant stand is when they trick me into thinking there is a bird outside I’m not used to hearing!!! LOL I run out and its them………… sorry I cant help with the feeding, I find that the Starlings don’t like people as much as the Mocking birds do, maybe step outside more often and scare them off. Good luck.

Have a wonderful day and feel free to check out more of my photography here,
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/53805123@N05/

#5124519 Report Abuse
    KScarlettMom
    KScarlettMom
    Participant

Linda, someone at the bird store told me to try the apple and raisin trick, which I will do today!

Thanks.

Jan
    Kentucky

#5124591 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Another thing good about mockingbirds is they eat a lot of insects, like the one below taking a juicy insect to its babies in the tree below it. Also in the summer when I’m mowing its not unusual to see a mockingbird flying down behind the mower to get insects I have stirred up.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5125936 Report Abuse

Jan, try offering black oil sunflower seed in the shell. I don’t have mockingbirds, so I am clueless if Mockers will crack seed open. I DO KNOW THAT STARLINGS CAN’T!

Black oilers are what I mostly feed all the birds (most of the time). All desirable birds will feed on them, while starlings can’t crack them open. A starling’s bill doesn’t have the strength to do so. Its bill is designed to spread open grassy areas to look for soft shelled seeds and bugs. It isn’t designed to crack open hard shelled seeds.

Hope this helps you and other onlookers.

Ron

http://www.gardening-for-wildlife.com

#5131404 Report Abuse
    WayesHomeAccessory
    WayesHomeAccessory
    Participant

Hello Jan!
    Try putting the feed for the mocking birds in a bird feeder in a separate area of your yard. That way the starlings will continue to feed on your deck railing as usual and the mockingbirds will have their own feeding area (The bird feeder)

Waye's Home Accessory Superstore

#5131487 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I use BOSS a lot mainly because the starlings can’t eat them.  Anything else they can.  I open and close a door or clap hands and the starlings leave as do the grackles.  I remember you before telling about the starlings not being able to eat the BOSS  some years ago.  All other birds like the black oil seed no matter their size.  The starlings get into the suet feeders, too.

#5131562 Report Abuse
    WayesHomeAccessory
    WayesHomeAccessory
    Participant

Also another clever idea may be to put your new bird feeder for the mockingbirds near a fountain or perhaps near a brightly colored windchime since birds tend to have natural attraction to bright colors and the sound of running or dripping water:)

http://wayeshomeaccessories.weebly.com/bird-feeders-and-bird-houses.html

Waye's Home Accessory Superstore

#5132444 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

I love mockingbirds, but haven’t had any for two years now. For the first time I do have a brown thrasher this year, though.

I don’t have any suggestions, either. Sorry.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.