Any advice for growing peppers?

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Any advice for growing peppers?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by wilderness_NY_Z4 wilderness_NY_Z4 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LeAnnS
    LeAnnS
    Participant

Hi, I recently moved to the country and want to try my hand at gardening. My mother always had a garden when I was growing up and I have great memoeies of the fresh vegetables we ate. Anyways, I want to start small, so have plans of building a couple small raised beds for a few vegetables. Peppers, tomatoes, beans and maybe some squash. I had planned to buy pepper and tomato plants when it was time to plant them outdoors and my beds were ready, but yesterday I was browsing the garden dept. at Home Depot and got anxious to get started. So I bought a lityle Jiffy windowsill greenhouse and some jalapeno seeds (I also got cilantro seeds). I followed the directions on the Jiffy pkg. and prepared the pellets and planted 3 seeds in each. Now here is where I dont know what to do. Put the lid on or not? Sun or not? I actually think I am starting them late for my zone (8a) in North Texas. Any help/ advice is appreciated…

photo signature_1.gif

#5363089 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I am afraid I am in zone 4 so timing is totally different.  I will be starting my peppers next week.

Put the top on to maintain moisture until the emerge.  While waiting for them to germinate keep them in a warm place with good light.  Once they emerge remove the cover and put them in a sunny window.  They will need to be turned everyday so they grow straight.  When dry water from the bottom.  When they have 2 sets of new leaves I would transplant them into small individual cups.  Bury the stem as far as possible.  The ideal growing method is to put them under a grow light no more than 1-2″ above the plant.

photo signature_3.gif

Member of Community Team wildernessny@gmail.com

#5363131 Report Abuse
    LeAnnS
    LeAnnS
    Participant

Thank you wilderness! I will take your advice. How long before they emerge do you think? I’m so anxious to get started on the raised beds out side, and wouldn’t you know, we got snow this morning…lol

photo signature_1.gif

#5363480 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Peppers can be from 10-20 days to germinate.  I do mine on heat mats so they do tend to germinate a little sooner.

photo signature_3.gif

Member of Community Team wildernessny@gmail.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.