Ants causing plants to fall over

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Ants causing plants to fall over

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by narnian narnian 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

I have never had this happen before…I had the most beautiful purple Crego aster that I had started from seed…and I went out and it was lying on the ground…it had uprooted and I thought perhaps someone had done this on purpose…but got to looking and saw ants all over the area…including swarming over the soil around the roots of the plant.

Anyone have this happen? and how do you kill the ants? would you buy traps for sweet-eating ants or what?

Thanks,

Linda Z

#5274626 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Vinegar will kill ants. I had a mess of them earlier this year and I kept putting vinegar on them. The sand under the patio blocks on the path on west side of our house caused the ants to have anthills and killed one or two of my coralbells by getting down into the roots of them and the cold winter didn’t help either, but they had always survived that and come back. I think the ants finished the plants off. I also sprayed some ant killer on the area, too, so they would leave for good and not start another mess. Sometimes you have to resort to ant sprays to be rid of them. I keep watching that area for anymore that may be around. I do see anthills in the yard sometimes and a few doses of vinegar usually does the trick out in the yard. That is dirt, not sand. Sand is the worse stuff to call the ants. There always seems to be tons of ants appear after starting with just a few.

#5274633 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Linda….did your aster have aphids?  Ants are attracted to the sticky sap that aphids leave behind.  I have never had the ant problem, but I see I have 3 cregos dying from aster yellow disease.  I would try the traps, but maybe if you just throw the plant, they will leave on their own.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5274886 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

Charlene…no aphids…it was an absolutely huge and beautiful plant…planted in soil that had about 40 lbs of compost in it….(my front flower bed around the lamp post). That area has always had ants…but they are too many, and I will have to do something to kill them.

I don’t want to use poison or vinegar there…it has such nice soil that you can almost dig with your hands.

I do have a white aster and another purple one in that bed, but not on top of the ants, so they are doing well, but not as big as the other one.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.