Another weed or flower question?

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Another weed or flower question?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I have this growing in one of my beds….nothing else like it, so I have taken care of it.  If it is a weed, I will be embarrassed because I have even tied it up….lol

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5264954 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Hard to say Charlene.  The flowers look to me like the ones on clover.  They are hardy in your flower beds because you use products to feed your plants.  Then again what do I know.  They look pretty anyways.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5264959 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Well, I looked in my wildflower book and I’d say its hoary alyssum, a member of the mustard family, and a non native plant. it grows up to 3′ tall, has flower spike clusters of tiny white flowers, each consisting of 4 petals, each petal is divided so each flower looks like it has 8 petals.  Leafs are thin, lance shaped, covered with pale white hairs giving them a downy appearance, leaves alternate along a single stem that divides near the top.  A European import, host plant for cabbage butterfly caterpillars (YIKES)! Pull it.

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5264970 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

I have never seen this plant bf, Charlene.  It does look and sound like the one Melissa has described.  I wonder if, since it’s related to the mustard family, is it as invasive as garlic mustard.  Before it goes to seed maybe you should get it positively id.  As pretty as it is, you wouldn’t want it taking over your gardens like garlic mustard tends to do.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by iris43 iris43.
    #5264973 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

I have to agree with Melissa on this one.  Mustard here is invasive and I have seen that white flower here too, so I pull it because some wildflowers here tend to be the invasive type.  The only wild flowers I leave is goldenrod, oxeye daisies, woodland sunflowers and roses, milkweed and a few others that I know are good for the beneficial insects we get.  I got a great stand of poison ivy here on my other lot.  Charlene can vouch for that one..LOL.

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

Pretty – but dangerous?  Be careful.

<*)~// Tealbird

#5265290 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Thanks for the info, Melissa, and the advice from all of you….I gave it a proper funeral last night….lol.  I was not that fond of it, so it didn’t break my heart to dig it up.  Now I have a hole to plant something else in.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.