??? About HB Feeders & Regular Bird Feeders

Home Forums Birding Hummingbirds ??? About HB Feeders & Regular Bird Feeders

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  txhummers 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Is there a rule of thumb regarding how far apart regular feeders & HB feeders should be?  Mine are about 4 ft apart.  I am fighting blackbird invasion at the moment & it seems I’m not seeing the HB as much when these bad guys are flitting around.  Could they be scaring the hummers off?  I’ve never seen them chase them away but just wondering.  Maybe just a coincidence?

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5155032 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I have the same problem.  I moved the hummingbird feeders to a pole away from the other feeders… so far so good… and in fact I have stopped feeding in the platform feeders for a few days… hoping the big birds go away.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5155234 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

From what I’ve read in the past, some ornithologist recommend moving hummingbird feeders out of sight from one another (perhaps separating them would also work with 2 different type bird feeders)?  They also suggest removing the regular bird feeder for a few days until the ”bully birds” have flow away.

My personal experience with hummingbirds & their feeders is that loud bird noises or other birds protecting their young/fledglings seem to curtail the regularity of feeding time for our hummers…but then again it just could be that I am too preoccupied with the other distracting birds to notice if the hummers have fed?

Good luck Gayle. Let us know how it works out.

#5155396 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

As to the bully birds I often leave the feeders empty for a couple of days but as soon as I put seed in them, they come back.

I don’t know where to put the HB feeder.  I’m trying to keep it in the shade AND in a spot where I can see it.

I had 3 HB early in the Spring.  Then they left (as usual) & so far I’ve only seen one return & haven’t seen much of that one lately which is what made me start wondering if the other birds were scaring him off.

I thought I had the Bullies outwitted at one time.  I read where they don’t like a lot of “fillers” in the seed.  So I started using fruit/nut mix (still do) with just a small amt of regular seed mixed in.  Didn’t see the big black  birds at my feeders for almost 2 yr but  this yr. they are back as strong as ever.

#5155493 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Ok then, let’s think about this one…I really want to help you attract the little hummers. I’m trying to visualize the garden pictures you’ve shared with us throughout the years. Do you still have your lovely white archway set up? If so, do you have anything growing around it presently? Maybe a hummingbird enticing flowering climber/vine?

Perhaps you could hang a hummingbird feeder just beneath the arch; just about any of your arches, tree limbs or sturdy flower limbs would do. You may consider using a suction cup hummingbird feeder that clings to your window & watch them from inside (I’ve never done this before but I know someone who has & was surprised how effective they are at attracting feeding hummers).

Another suggestion is to set out several hummingbird feeders, maybe 2 in the front & one in the back? You may not see the hummingbirds at first but when you go into that area to work (deadhead/water/weed/plant/dig in) the garden, you should see them. Occasionally just stop in the middle of whatever tasks you are performing in the garden & look at your HF & you may get a nice surprise.

If you have a sprinkler, wait until you are sitting outside before you turn it on. Gayle, that one is so fun to watch & you will be amazed! This may sound unusual but I suggest you play/pet/snuggle with Chelsea in the garden…yes indeed, it seems that birds of all kinds are fascinated/curious & rather tolerant of dogs & bunnies in general but especially when they are just content being outside:-)

Happy Hummer Watching!

#5156200 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I try to keep them in the shade & yet in a place where I can see them.  Only one tree big enough for that out front.  I used to have them up close to the window but it faces west & the food would get so hot there.

Suction thingys won’t work.  My windows are too high off the ground from outside.  And if I hang them from any of my arches I won’t be able to see them unless I go outside to look & I’d be banging my head on them all the time.  LOL

I do have a 2nd feeder out back that I can only see when I am out there & I have seen them in the sprinkler.  Coincidentally, my BFF called me today asking if I had seen my hummers lately.  Hers disappeared too.

I do know when the flowers start blooming I see them zipping from bloom to bloom quite often but I haven’t even see that lately.

Only thing I can figure is the first 3 were passing through & now the residents have gone into nesting mode & will be back at some point.

#5260873 Report Abuse

txhummers
    Participant

Folks, I run 17 hummingbird feeders, 23 regular seed/suet feeders and an owl box in my front yard (1/2 acre) and it does not cause any friction between the birds.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.