A new butterfly….first time I've seen one like it!!!

Home Forums Gardening Bugs and Butterflies A new butterfly….first time I've seen one like it!!!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Stelios Stelios 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Wonder if someone can identify this butterfly.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5277713 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I believe it is a black swallowtail, minus his tail… which looks like its been eaten off… which is the way many of ours have been this year…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5277778 Report Abuse
    SandraRW
    SandraRW
    Participant

May be a pipevine swallowtail or a spicebush swallowtail. The spots look white in your photo and a black swallowtail has yellow spots

#5277786 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Yes Sandra, the spots were pure white. Mind you I feel sorry for the butterflies this year.  Seem like they all went to battle.  I wonder why so many have injuries (missing parts of their wings)?

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5277814 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

Stella…I think this is something else….do you live in western Canada? If so, maybe it is a Weidemeyer’s Admiral???

Maybe Jill can help here.

#5277828 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

It looks a lot like a Banded Purple.

Terry

#5277830 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

I agree with Narnian. It looks like an Admiral. They are pretty butterflies, even/especially the underside.

#5278047 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Yes, it’s a White Admiral, closely related to the Red-Spotted Purple. I wrote about this on the B&B Blog just a couple of weeks ago: http://www.birdsandblooms.com/blog/attracting-butterflies-red-spotted-purple/

Nice spotting! This is one I’ve never seen in person, but would love to. Thanks for sharing!

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5278231 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Thanks Jill for the identificatiion.  I just reread your post.  Looks to me like this one has a duo citizenship…..LOL

Stella
    Community Team Member

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.