A beige colored turkey?

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As A beige colored turkey?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  txhummers 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Have you ever seen a beige colored turkey? Today on my walk at one of our county parks I had 3 turkeys for company! LOL Two were adult females and the third, the funny colored one, seemed to be a younger one. The latter one refused to go where they wanted it to, they were wanting to walk along the road to go to the prairie area but it preferred the woods. The older two gave up and followed that third one and at one time they were right in front of me on a trail close to the road and I was afraid I was in trouble! LOL

#5125117 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

Perhaps it was leucistic.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#5125133 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Not sure. You’ll laugh! I’m do puzzles like mad and looking up words when I was in school was my favorite thing to do but I didn’t know what this word meant. LOL

#5125226 Report Abuse

txhummers
    Participant

My thoughts exactly Junior.  ”Leucistic” means it would have an abundance of lighter colored pigments and so they would show over the dark pigments you would expect to see in a turkey.  It is actually quite common in animals, but because the unusual stands out in nature the animal seldom survives long.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.