5 Baby Hummers in 1 nest

Home Forums Birding Hummingbirds 5 Baby Hummers in 1 nest

This topic contains 23 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by steve232__nc steve232__nc 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Alley_Cat
    Participant

Last year I had Anna set up a nest in a cardboard box of starter plant food in my shed that was sitting on a shelf. There was a hole in the top side of the box that I poured the food out of. She raised 3 babies in the box. Last week I went to remove the box and she had already setup shop again and had 2 hatchlings & 1 unhatched egg. I tooks a few pictures and went back this evening. There are now 5 naked baby hummers in the same nest. I have only seen 1 momma hummer enter & leave the box. When she is gone I open the top of the box & take photos. It is really hard to get focused shots of the babies & the flash is to intense at such a close range. I have used a small flashlight but it still gives a little glare in the photos. I am shooting super macro but is still not a chrisp shot. Any help would be great

#5133117 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

That’s an amazing place to find a hummers nest. Wish I was better at taking pictures; maybe someone in Backyard Chat under General could offer some help on taking photos.

#5133235 Report Abuse

Alley_Cat
    Participant

This is my 1st time trying to post pics. The Pic with the egg in it is from last week (3 babies) and the other is from yesterday (5 babies)

#5133237 Report Abuse

Alley_Cat
    Participant

Thanks, Marnee … I’ll give that a try
    Looks like the pics did not import … I’ll try again later

#5133378 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

Very interesting story… I wonder what’s going on in this instance? By the by, if possible, you should avoid using the flash when photographing young birds whilst their eyes are still developing, especially if their nest is in a darker area.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#5133397 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Alley_Cat thats a lot of little hummers in one nest. Hope you get to post some pictures. If you need help posting pictures there should be some help in the community help section listed under backyard chat. And also welcome to our bird forums. Hope you like it here and make yourself at home.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5133418 Report Abuse

Alley_Cat
    Participant

Thank you, Junior & Steve … I think that 2 moms must have tried to setup in the same nest, since the original nest was from last year and the box only has room for 1 nest. I will go to community help section and get some assistance.  No more flashes.  I am going to try & get some shots this afternoon while the sun is in the west

I love WeatherUnderground

#5133481 Report Abuse

Alley_Cat
    Participant

This is the box that the nest is in.  The other 2 pics are pics of the 3 babies from last year. BTW … What is a baby hummer called?

#5133486 Report Abuse

Alley_Cat
    Participant

4/12/14 This is the 1st pic of this year when I found out that the nest was being reused … 3 babies & an egg … It is hard to see but there are 3 … check the eyes & the beaks

#5133490 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Hey you done good getting those pictures to post. I would love to find a hummingbird nest. One year I did find one in the fall after the leaves had fallen off the trees. I had mowed all around that nest all summer and had no idea it was there.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5133492 Report Abuse

Alley_Cat
    Participant

4/16/14 – I check the box and found 5 babies, then went back in the evening and took some pics with a flashlight

#5133495 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

Hello again! I think what you might have there is young Carolina wrens- they are notorious for nesting inside of building in areas just such as the one that you found. The young’uns look like little Carolina’s, too.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#5133496 Report Abuse

Alley_Cat
    Participant

4/17/14 – So I used my portable camping fluorescent light this afternoon for some better pics.

#5133497 Report Abuse

Alley_Cat
    Participant

Thanks, Junior but I live in the El Dodado County foothills of Calif.  Looks like Carolina wrens are in the east

#5133827 Report Abuse
    smurphee
    smurphee
    Participant

This nest looks a lot bigger than a typical hummingbird nest.  This website says they are about the size of a ping pong ball.  How big is this nest?  Also, what is it made out of?

http://www.howtoenjoyhummingbirds.com/hummingbird_nests.htm

Teresa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.