Garden Resolutions Challenge for 2014

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Garden Resolutions Challenge for 2014

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 49 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Jill I love fresh strawberries but I don’t  grow them here. Too much work for lazy me lol. Of course theres a lot of critters around here that would enjoy them anyway before I got a chance to. Don’t think I have ever saw a strawberry before with a pink blossom. The strawberries here don’t get ripe till May and thats when you said yours stops producing. Just shows what better weather you have. I guess now we know  how to tell when you work in your strawberry bed. We’ll watch for a second hand print on the wall lol.

Won’t be beginning my attempt at a resolution (which is  trying to keep me some fresh tomatoes till nearly frost) till about mid March when I’ll be planting my first tomato seeds.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#4769897 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Right now I am living in the ice age.  The yard looks like one big sheet of ice.  Only gardening happening around here is indoors.  21/2 months until I can put the greenhouses up.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5109774 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

It’s March, and for most of us, it sure came in like a lion! We had some lovely weather here in Florida, though, and my little raised beds are starting to make some strawberries, my lettuces and chives are up and doing well, and even my nasturtiums are growing like crazy. So far, so good for me in 2014!

I know most of you haven’t had a chance to get outside yet, but have you made any more plans regarding your resolutions? That first day of spring will be here eventually, so now might be a good time to make some shopping lists or to-do reminders as you prepare to keep your resolutions in 2014!

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5110096 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I have another resolution too. I have several beds that need to be dug and thinned out, they are so crowded they don’t bloom well anymore. OK now that I have two resolutions…all I need is some decent weather to accomplish them.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5111139 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

I never posted my Resolution/Challenege for the new year.  Today was, more or less a nice morning to trudge through the snow.  This is the beginning of our new 80 x 100 garden..

Nope this not a Totem pole.  Lol!  10 Cedar tree posts being cured for the ground.  Only 40 more to go!

View of  new area without fencing…  Off to right you may be able to see the young fruit trees with cages around them.

After trudging through the snow to the backside of garden, this is a picture of the young fruit trees.

I guess I am going to start simple for my resolution/challenege.   Get the posts treated and fencing done as soon as weather breaks.

We have a lot issues that have come up that seem to be working against us.  BF may be working out of town this year and only home for weekends and I am being “Forced” to work a lot of OT and I mean lots..

However, I did enjoy my morning trudge through the snow.  Was going to take one of the quads but decided to walk and I am glad I did.  The Red Bellies were just calling and drumming away, Flickers were at it too.  Kicked a White-Tail up, seen some Fox prints, Downies and Hairy’s were busy too!  The trees were just glistening with the sun shining against them.

#5116362 Report Abuse
    NanaTnzone6
    NanaTnzone6
    Participant

Three weeks ago I started working in small beds at the front of the house.  On pretty days I worked as long as I could & finally (after a week) got all beds cleaned out in the front yard.  One bed I dug up & broke up plants & replanted them.  They have not been divided in over 4 years, so they really needed it.  I was at a lose as what to do with all the plants after dividing them.  I put them in trash but sure did not like doing that.

So my thoughts turned to what could I do with all these plants.  Started a list of things that really needed to be divided(18 different types) & tried to decide what to do with all of them.  Sent out emails to my friends & told them I would be dividing plants in the next 2 or 3 weeks & if they wanted any just let me know. Have several takers. So 1st resolution is to share plants & help others keep cost down.  2nd is to reduce the amounts of small beds I have in the yard. By giving plants away & cutting down the amount of beds I have it will be easier for me to keep & water the ones that are left.  I have lots & lots of beds.

If I can do all this it will be a miracle, lots of work but the plants really do need dividing.  We will see.  Happy Gardening, NanaTnzone6

FlyHummer photo signature_3-1.gif

#5116575 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Stanette – Wish I lived close enough to take some of your plants! That’s actually one of my favorite things about gardening – being able to share the benefits with friends. Good luck with your resolutions – we’ll keep checking back on you throughout the year!

Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5119455 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I have most of the seed planted for the new annual bed that I built last year.  Still have a few more things to get planted in the next week or two.  Also have some perennials planted for the new bed I plan to get built in the fairy garden.  Now if only it would quit snowing.

photo signature_3.gif

#5119478 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

First Day of Spring! I’m glad to hear at least a few people are starting to be able to make some progress. I ate my first little strawberry from my new beds the other day, but I don’t think I’ll grow this particular variety of plants again. My research tells me they are bred more to be compact plants, perhaps for those who want to grow them in containers? I like the big sprawling ones that put on plenty of flowers and fruit!

Who else has been able to make some progress in their gardens?

Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5119753 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I have strawberry plants ordered.  They just notified me today they would arrive the last week in April.  Wonder what they think I will do with them in April.

Jill, I love the Ozark Beauties.  They are an everbearer that do well here.  Also have lots of runners so you can replenish your plants as they do get old after a couple of years.

photo signature_3.gif

#5121369 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Jill…how great that you are already carrying out your garden resolutions and enjoying strawberries (I cannot eat strawberries).

My 1st resolution was to thin our some of my perennial beds, but since they are still under a couple feet of snow, that hasn’t happened yet.  My 2nd was to do a better job with my containers.  I have planted up a few and have them in my GH, but time will tell how they look.

Stanette…..sharing plants and seeds is one of my favorite parts of gardening!  Many of my friends will be getting plants this Spring.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5121675 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

My first lettuce harvest!

Of course, this is the easy time of year for me. Summer is the hard time in Florida, so we’ll see how things are going come August…

Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5121726 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

My main resolution is to fill up the very back of my lot with more plants.  The fence is looking old in that area and I want to cover it.

Also….weeds BE GONE….!

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5125610 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I had just one day last week that it was warm enough and dry enough to get one bed cleaned out..then the rains came again. Today was pretty but still too wet to work and the wind was chilly too. Something tells me I will be lucky to get half of my resolutions done this spring, then it will have to wait until fall for the rest.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5147649 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

OK, everyone! Spring is here, and it’s time to see how everyone is doing on their resolutions so far. My two raised beds have done very well so far this year, supplying us with lettuce and strawberries in abundance for the last couple of months! Here in Florida, the edible gardening season is pretty much over – most fruits, veggies, and herbs just can’t take the heat and humidity of summer. I’ll be pulling the lettuce bed soon, and turning off the drip irrigation to this area once the summer rains kick in. I’ll be letting these lie fallow till September or so, when I’ll replant for the next growing season here in Florida. I feel good about having kept my resolutions during the first half of 2014.

But just as my gardening season is ending, everyone else’s should just be kicking off! Time to take a look back at this post to see the resolutions you made, and let us know what your current status is. Consider bookmarking this post so you can find it easily, and be sure to give us regular updates as the summer goes along. Good luck to everyone!

Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.