Garden Resolutions Challenge for 2014

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Garden Resolutions Challenge for 2014

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 49 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

I have developed a new bed on the south side of the house by using my old dirt from my large whiskey barrels that I dumped along the forest line where my yard meets the forest.  My resolution is to plant more annuals in that flower bed and make that a lovely long strip of flowers along the forest line. We will see what happens with that.

Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

Mine seems simple but gets hard to accomplish when our heat sets in during the summer. That is to keep my plants watered and fed so they will flourish instead of fizzle.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#4769898 Report Abuse

razzmataz
    Participant

Well, I think my main ‘goal’ or resolution is to not buy any plant/flower/bulb, etc til I have the place ready where it will go!  I am so bad to buy things and then have them sit around, having to keep them watered, etc.  The only exception would be if I find deals like I did last summer when I went to Lowe’s and was $5 for all you could get one one of the big flat carts, so I figured even if I lost some of them to the hot summer it wasn’t a lot lost.  I got bunches of stuff and I think most all was planted.

I have so many things that I want to get done, hard to pick just one or two.  I guess I’m like Bette, I just work on what I can and get done what I can and then what doesn’t get done, just waits…………

#4769899 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

My resolution is going to be in my vegetable garden. My favorite fresh vegetable has to be tomatoes. The last couple years my tomatoes have gotten a blight and stopped producing well before the end of summer. This past summer on a garden TV show they were talking about tomatoes and blight problems. The guy on there said theres some tomatoes developed at NC State University that is for this area and is resistant to blight. I checked into them but found what I consider to be a drawback. They are determinate. I usually only grow indeterminate tomatoes so I’ll have tomatoes all summer. So I have decided this year I’m going to get some of those seeds and only plant a couple when I normally start my tomato seeds and about every 3 weeks or so start a couple more and do that  up to about July. Hopefully by doing that I’ll have tomatoes pretty much all summer. Now if I can remember every 3 weeks or so to start some more seeds lol.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#4769900 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

My Resolution will be to mark my seedlings more consistently when I transplant them to the cell packs and to get a nursery bed started for perennial seedlings.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4769887 Report Abuse

leygross
    Participant

Hi Jill

#4769888 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

I plan on making two new beds, one I want to plant with mostly red flowers…as I tend to have a lot of pink and other cool flowers. I also want a bed with peonies and irises.

#4769889 Report Abuse

leygross
    Participant

Hi Jill
    I loved your resolution. Though working on my garden isn’t my resolution for this new year but yeah I have been planning from quite a while to decorate my home garden through raised beds. Thanks to god that my search landed me up here.
    Can you suggest me some vendors ?

#4769890 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I’m not Jill…but…Welcome to the board Leygross…..glad you found this forum…and you will learn a lot here about gardening.  I live in NE Iowa.  Where do you garden at…meaning what zone are you in?

What type of vendors are you looking for?  Many of us grow many of our flowers from seed.  We use Swallowtail Garden Seeds, Thompson Morgan, Parks, and many more.  If you are looking for vendors that sell plants….someone can give you names of good vendors in your area.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4769884 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

[color=blue]  Well, it probably be not to grow anything in the lots of empty pots piled up in storage …Want for sure to have my only flowerbed FULL to the brim…would like to use every inch down there, also vines or climbers up the fence behind it….Hope my Nectarine and Peach trees will grow and bloom and produce…too much to ask? lol…also my potted Fig and Lemon trees bear something, plant more edibles and veggies, like my Swiss Chard that is still having green pretty tasty leaves….[/color]

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#4769892 Report Abuse

ah64a
    Participant

I want to move my DW’s flower garden 20 ft. out more. And plant flowers for the birds to eat.

#4769893 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

[quote user="ah64a"]I want to move my DW’s flower garden 20 ft. out more.[/quote]

A good plan Gary, but I want to tell you that when you expand a garden, be sure to leave room to walk (I’ve made that mistake before)  You can make some kind of path or just leave a space between….you need room to get in the bed and weed or pick flowers…or take pictures…Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4769894 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Mine is 1) to eliminate creeping charlie that is taking over my yard from neighbors (got rid of his for him – sigh!), 2) thin perennials and 3) not grow so many plants that I have no place to put them and won’t be doing as many pots either as its too hard to keep them watered and costs a fortune (now we’ll see if I can do that or not). LOL

#4769895 Report Abuse

Anonymous

[quote user="Jill Staake"]

My Resolution: I want to do more with the two small raised beds I built on the south side of my house a few years ago. The idea was that one was supposed to be a strawberry patch and the other a vegetable patch, but they’ve been lying fallow for a long time now. So, in 2014, I resolve to plant and maintain these two raised beds, except in the hot summer months when veggie gardening just isn’t possible in Florida.

[/quote]

Time for my first resolution check-in! Today, I spent some time rehabbing the small raised beds. I turned over the soil and added nice new compost. I installed new micro-irrigation sprinklers (fairly easy, although I did call in the DH to help when I kinked the hose and couldn’t un-kink it). Then I planted strawberries in one bed and seeded the other with lettuce, onions, and nasturtiums.

Strawberries in close bed, with other bed behind. (Ignore the dirty pathway; it’s desperately in need of a pressure washing. I also managed to leave a dirty hand-print on the wall, apparently.)

I planted two varieties of ever-bearing strawberries that should bear fruit until about May or so, when the weather here in Florida will get too warm for them.

One variety is ‘Loran’ (white flowers in the foreground above) and the other is ‘Tristan’, which has lovely bright pink flowers. I’ve never grown this variety before, so we’ll see how it goes.

The other bed isn’t as exciting just yet, since I only sowed seed. I do like the micro-sprayers I installed. They’re on a timer to run for 30 minutes every 3 days. I’ll adjust it as needed.

Here are the seed varieties I planted:

I’m pleased to have tackled these gardens so soon into the new year. If I can keep these going this winter and spring, I’ll feel very good about it all.

I know it’s too early for most of you to even think of doing anything in your gardens just yet, but be sure to bookmark this and keep us up to date when you finally can get down to work!

#4769896 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

They look really good Jill & I’m envious.  I can’t even think of doing anything like that yet & I’m not even in the frozen tundra.  LOL

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.