Garden Resolutions Challenge for 2014

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Garden Resolutions Challenge for 2014

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 49 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

It’s resolution time! They say one of the best ways to keep your resolutions is to make only one or two that are realistic, then share them with others and ask them to help keep you on track. So, let’s use this thread to each share ONE resolution for our gardens this year. We’ll check back in monthly to see how everyone is doing, and I’ll have prizes at the end of the year for anyone who can prove they kept their resolution in 2014!

My Resolution: I want to do more with the two small raised beds I built on the south side of my house a few years ago. The idea was that one was supposed to be a strawberry patch and the other a vegetable patch, but they’ve been lying fallow for a long time now. So, in 2014, I resolve to plant and maintain these two raised beds, except in the hot summer months when veggie gardening just isn’t possible in Florida.

Your turn! 

#4768758 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

A new look for the side bed in the back yard & for the fence beds.   Just some different plants in those spots.

A new look for what I call my Garden Spot.  A small area under a couple of cedar trees.  One year I had houseplants there with a fountain.  This year I’m thinking of   my old wheelbarrow filled with begonias, coleus & some filler cascading type plant.  Leroy sent me some seeds for something that I can’t think of the name of at the moment but probably that.  Silver Falls, maybe?

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4768759 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

After not being able to have a garden last year I only have one resolution this year, yup some how some way I will have a home again but most important is to have a garden again! So….my resolution is to have a new garden……Kathy

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#4768760 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

[quote user="cove2700"] Leroy sent me some seeds for something that I can’t think of the name of at the moment but probably that.  Silver Falls, maybe?[/quote]

Gayle….that would be a Silver Falls Dichondra.  It is a lovely plant.  I grew it for a number of years, but haven’t the past couple.  I searched for a pic of it to put on your “D” thread, but guess I have deleted all of them.  It would be pretty in the area you are talking about.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4769873 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Thanks Charlene, that’s it. 

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4769874 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

I think my garden resolution will be to stay within my ability to care for the seedlings I grow this year.   This year I will do my best to fight the overwhelming urge to plant everything I want just because I want it.  In the past, I have started things in the house that could have been started outside just because I wanted to watch the seedlings come up and care for them afterwards.  I need to be much more discriminatory about what seeds I start indoors and what I can direct sow.  I guess that is what it boils down to when I think of it.   I need to quit being a seedling hog!  LOL!  

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#4769875 Report Abuse
    abeyl
    abeyl
    Participant

My resolution is finish the bed down the back of the house. I am well pleased with what I got done this year. Since it only gets morning sun, I want to make a shade garden…sorta. I have two big pots of hostas and an azalea to start. I have found my tropical hibiscus do better back there. I can dream can’t I.lol  That is my plans if I am able to stay here, if not my twin girls say they want me to come down there and both have big yards. One other thing one of the girls has ask if she can redo a large overgrown flower bed at school here and they said yes. She wants me to help with the planning. Both have property here also so I can come back now and then. I am looking forward to spring!! I have been blessed with good health so far.       Abey

#4769876 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I resolve to get outdoors in my yard even if it kills me! LOL My arthritis is trying to do me.

#4769877 Report Abuse
    flowerpowerz5
    flowerpowerz5
    Participant

I’m going to try to cut down on the weed population somehow. I don’t use spray on them so I will be doing lots of pulling. I would also do more containers or hanging baskets.I’m getting better at them so want to continue. Sandy

Sandy M.

#4769878 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

My Resolution: Is similar to yours Jill. Only one itty bitty catch (two really) as we don’t have a lot of yard or sunlight coming in, but I’m hopeful nonetheless:-)

My plan is to try growing up to 4 different Heirloom tomato varieties & they will all be planted in big pots & I’ll need to secure those humungous growers somewhere?…I have the dolly ready to follow the sunshine;-) 

#4769879 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I am not sure I make resolutions but I do a list every winter of what projects I want to accomplish each gardening season.  I am afraid so of my list is left over from the past season but I guess that is OK.

I made a new annual bed this past summer and I plan to get that planted with all annuals.  Also I have plans to put in 2 new rather large beds one on each side of my lower deck.  They will be planted with more low growing shrubs.  The northeast corner bed needs to be dug out and completely replanted and I hope to get at least one more bed build in the fairy garden.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#4769880 Report Abuse

Anonymous

[quote user="wilderness_NY_Z4"]

I am not sure I make resolutions but I do a list every winter of what projects I want to accomplish each gardening season.  I am afraid so of my list is left over from the past season but I guess that is OK.

I made a new annual bed this past summer and I plan to get that planted with all annuals.  Also I have plans to put in 2 new rather large beds one on each side of my lower deck.  They will be planted with more low growing shrubs.  The northeast corner bed needs to be dug out and completely replanted and I hope to get at least one more bed build in the fairy garden.

[/quote]

That’s a lot of resolutions! Sure you don’t want to pick just one for this challenge, like maybe one of your new beds? 

#4769881 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I have one unfinished project from last year..I started making a raised bed for veggies and strawberries in the back of the house near the kitchen door. Didn’t get that finished so hopefully I will get it done this spring before it is time to plant. I ended up with all of the veggies in pots again and I would love to have them in the ground where they belong.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4769882 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Jill I am not sure they will all get done but some will and probably some will just get started.  It will depend if I am able to find a part time job or not.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#4769883 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I guess I have 2 goals for 2014 that I am determined to complete.

1) is to thin out my perennial beds.  As most of you can see, many of my beds are getting a bit over grown….ok…maybe more than a bit.  That has to be done in the late Spring and early summer…last year we were too wet and cold at that time to do any gardening.

2) is to do a better job with my containers this year.  I usually do a good job with containers, but last year I got so caught up in new varieties of flowers that I forgot to use my good old tried and true container flowers.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.