Latest Blog Post – Do Butterflies Sleep?

Home Forums Gardening Bugs and Butterflies Latest Blog Post – Do Butterflies Sleep?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by MDgreenery MDgreenery 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Howdy, fellow butterfly lovers! I’m the new moderator on the Birds & Blooms community forums, and I LOVE BUTTERFLIES. In fact, my “day job” (aside from writing for B&B) is rearing butterflies for display in a free-flight encounter at the science museum in Tampa, FL. I’m chock full of all kinds of information about butterflies, so please feel free to drop me a line or start a conversation about any butterfly-related topics you like!

On that note, my latest post on the Birds & Blooms Blog was butterfly-related, and called “Do Butterflies Sleep?” (short answer: no, not exactly; long answer: read the blog!) I hope you’ll check it out along with my other posts and give me your thoughts. 

#4755187 Report Abuse

Butterfly_Sue_FL
    Participant

There has not been that much action on this board lately.  I have been at your exhibit and it is nice.  I have retired to Florida.  Back home in Wisconsin I raised Monarchs and other butterflies, but find that much harder here due to the diseases.  The first year here I had 11 species of butterflies as I grew plants like zinnias (that lasted only a short time) and other non-natives that froze out.  So right now I still have milkweed and passionvine in my yard.  Being that I live in a retired community, I try to keep my yard neat and clean which is a disadvantage.  Just two days ago I had a Monarch in the yard and found eggs on my milkweed.  However, with the way the weather is, I don’t think I will get anything out of the eggs, plus the predators.  I had read a blurb from the University of FL that suggested cutting down the milkweed because it will still keep growing here but we actually want the Monarchs to migrate to wherever they go in Florida.  I thought that rather interesting.

Good to hear from you and I hope others start posting once again!

#4755703 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

[quote user="Jill Staake"]I’m chock full of all kinds of information about butterflies, so please feel free to drop me a line or start a conversation about any butterfly-related topics you like![/quote]

Oh boy Jill~I love to learn new things about butterflies:-) Hubby just bought me a favorite butterfly book of mine. Each year I borrow the same book from the library & re~read it cover to cover…so I guess he thought it was time I owned it:-)

Actually, Butterfly Sue was the one who had told me about butterflies, “Dumping” their eggs sometimes. Thank you Sue.  

I find that often the scientific experts of Lepidopterology make the good information a bit too hard to find/retain in the books they author.  

It will be fun & intersting for me to learn new things about these beautiful fliers.    

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.