Unknown caterpillar

Home Forums Gardening Bugs and Butterflies Unknown caterpillar

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by grannyfarmer grannyfarmer 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    grannyfarmer
    grannyfarmer
    Participant

Need help on ID – I think it might be a swallow tail butterfly some day but I found this one and several smaller ones eating leaves on a small poplar tree sapling.

#4739827 Report Abuse
    njeagle7
    njeagle7
    Participant

Hi, grannyfarmer,

That is a beautiful caterpillar. I have never seen one like that, before. I found a photo in the ‘bugguide’ that is similar in color to yours, but I don’t see the ‘spiny’ things on your ‘cat’. Could he have retracted them from being handled? Check this photo in the ‘bugguide’ of a ‘Funerary Dagger’ Moth (Acronicta funeralis)…

http://bugguide.net/node/view/253284

~Annie in NJ~ (aka: jerseytweeter) at 

http://www.youtube.com/user/jerseytweeter/videos     

#4739682 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Don’t know what it is, but pretty sure not a Swallowtail.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4739683 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Swallowtail Cat

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4740154 Report Abuse
    grannyfarmer
    grannyfarmer
    Participant

Sure does look like the same caterpillar, Annie, only I didn’t see any spikes at all before I picked it up – found some smaller ones on the poplar tree saplings but they didn’t have spikes either – maybe the northern ones don’t need spikes – LOL! The smaller ones just looked like inch worms but upon closer inspection they were black with tiny yellow dots on each segment.  Thanks for the help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.