No Monarchs

Home Forums Gardening Bugs and Butterflies No Monarchs

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Jill Staake Jill Staake 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

mamascats
    Participant

Evening all,

Here it is September and I haven’t seen our beautiful Monarchs. My garden is almost ALL butterfly friendly. I have numerous butterfly bushes, Hyssop, yarrow, milk weeds, marigolds, zinnias,bee balm etc.. I always have Monarchs…..I have tiger swallowtails, spice bush, fritts(sp) luna moths…hummer moths, bumble bees but this year.. no monarchs…… I am in Virginia… just north of Fredericksburg. Has anyone else noticed this?

Deb in Va,

#4732897 Report Abuse

mamascats
    Participant

I just cannot imagine WHERE the Monarchs are this year. I saw one baby in the open field by our house yesterday. There are several LARGE patches of wild milk weed but there have been NO MONARCHS there this year and as I said my garden is a butterfly oasis and especially for Monarchs… but no Monarchs this year. I have also been observing wild life and trees around us. We have several acres and I am outside alot. Our Maple trees are already losing their leaves.. This has been going on for the at least the past 3-4 weeks, The deer are eating like there is no tomorrow. We are going thru 100 pounds of corn per day, Our Japanese Dog Wood has already bloomed with it’s berries, our Dogwoods are already  showing their red berries, choke berries have been ripe for weeks. Black walnuts have been falling for a month. I don’t know if this is an omen…but I tend to watch Nature around me…….I think this will be an early Fall and I still have to wonder where are our beautiful Monarchs.

Deb in Va.

#4732734 Report Abuse

Butterfly_Sue_FL
    Participant

ON other forums, the number of Monarchs are way way down.  So sad!  Between the weather this year and remnants of weather from last year, they have been affected greatly.  Only hope for a recovery somehow, somewhere.  I don’t think in years past it has been as bad as this year.  If the Monarchs don’t find a way of recovering, this will only lead to an end.

[:(]

#4732733 Report Abuse

Butterfly_Sue_FL
    Participant

ON other forums, the number of Monarchs are way way down.  So sad!  Between the weather this year and remnants of weather from last year, they have been affected greatly.  Only hope for a recovery somehow, somewhere.  I don’t think in years past it has been as bad as this year.  If the Monarchs don’t find a way of recovering, this will only lead to an end.

[:(]

#4733460 Report Abuse

mamascats
    Participant

It has rained here a lot in VA as well. DO you think that has something to do with it.  I have other butterflies and hummers….but no Monarchs. This is so very strange. Our Home owners assoc has a park that is about 47 acres. We have let it just grow wild. And a neighbor cuts a path around the perimeter and thru the middle so we can walk around or those with horses can ride… but no ATV’s. We all have protected it… especially me as I am a nature photographer and a potter. I collect fallen leaves etc to use in my clay work and also photograph the park in all it’s wild beauty. The milk weed pods are huge this year and are also starting to burst open. The leaves on our Maple Trees have started to turn weeks ago.

The berries on our wild choke berries have been heavy for weeks, the dog wood berries are also red, the berries on our Japanese Dog Wood is also red. The Black Walnuts have already started to fall. THis is all very very strange and to add that I have no Monarchs is very disheartening.

I Have to add though… I am glad that it is not just me….but where are our beauties this year.

Deb in VA.

#4733458 Report Abuse

NewsletterMan
    Participant

I’ve seen only Two (2)  Monarchs all summer.  Hmmmm!  Of course we’ve had rain, rain, rain, and little sunshine until the last week.  Does this affect the presence of Monarchs ??  NLM in SC Zn7

#4733457 Report Abuse

NewsletterMan
    Participant

I’ve seen only Two (2)  Monarchs all summer.  Hmmmm!  Of course we’ve had rain, rain, rain, and little sunshine until the last week.  Does this affect the presence of Monarchs ??  NLM in SC Zn7

#4733711 Report Abuse

jitterjer
    Participant

I haven’t seen one either. I live in NE Pa. I have the normal plants to attract them also and tons of milkweed but no butterflies or caterpillars’. I’m worried

#4733861 Report Abuse

mamascats
    Participant

Then this is not just my imagination?

My garden is over 3200 sq. feet. I Have so many butterfly bushes, hyssop, Bee Balms, Several kinds of milk weeds plants,Cone Flowers, flowers etc… I Have my normal butterflies like Tiger Swallow tails, Spice bush etc… but NO MONARCHS. Our HOA has 47 acres and has hundreds of Milk Weed Plants. NO MONARCHS. No monarchs on the wilod thistle that they also love.

I, like you am very worried… and now it is so late in the season.

Where are you in PA?

Deb in Va.

#4737772 Report Abuse

jaguae
    Participant

The monarch’s migration last year was down 79% and has been down for the last three years. They are measured by acres. I saw a program on TV about this—so sad. 

We have many milkweed plants and also swamp milkweed. I have looked several times for cats or even eggs did not find any.

I think the chemicals WE farmers use is part of the problem .

I have seen four Monarchs in the last few days.

I live in Ky.

#4741536 Report Abuse

Flowerchild_va
    Participant

Hi Deb,

I’m also in Va. Chesterfield area and I’ve been telling everyone that would listen that something’s wrong. I saw one Monarch this whole year. Like you, I have everything here for them, and usually have MANY Monarchs. I’ve had all other types , even more then usual this Summer, but no Monarchs. Also I observe Nature and have noticed many signs of a bad Winter coming, but that’s nothing to do with the decline of Monarchs. It’s  sad, but I do believe our flying jewels  are in trouble. I also have many Hummers here. Last year I had 2. I was worried something was going on with them, however, this year the numbers were back in the 20′s. So…hopefully, this will happen with the Monarchs next year. Let’s hope for the best.

#4757723 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

I actually wrote a blog post about this back in the summer that had more info. There were a variety of reasons for it, but you are right – the monarch numbers were way down this year.

http://www.birdsandblooms.com/2013/09/11/summer-2013-where-were-the-monarchs/

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.