Butterfly photos

Home Forums Gardening Bugs and Butterflies Butterfly photos

This topic contains 30 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by margba margba 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Kim
    Kim
    Participant

A female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus) showed up today!  One of my favorite butterflies!

#5126121 Report Abuse
    Tennduckie
    Tennduckie
    Participant

Great Shots Kim !! …love the colors on both the plants :) beautiful butterflies !

#5130488 Report Abuse
    Kim
    Kim
    Participant

Thanks Tennduckie!  The winds were blowing so much this day that the swallowtail was having difficulty hanging onto the flowers.

#5131207 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Kim those are great butterfly photos. From the looks of your photos you enjoy gardening as well. Of course we are glad to have you post anywhere on these boards you want to but I expect you’d really enjoy the gardening forum as well.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5148922 Report Abuse
    Kim
    Kim
    Participant

Thanks Steve.  Yes, I enjoy gardening as much I enjoy observing the flying flowers. : )

It’s still pretty slow going on the butterfly front, but here are a few recent sightings:

American Lady (Vanessa virginiensis)  This one nectared on the Orange Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa), Orange Calendula (Calendula officinalis) – grew these from seed, and pictured is a Buzz Purple Buddleia.  This is a new more compact form of buddleia.  Well, it’s a new form to me.  Overall mature height and spread is stated to be anywhere from 2 – 4′ tall x 3′ wide.  Will see if it actually keeps it compact form. ; )

Dorsal and ventral view of a male Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus)

And last, but not least….well maybe least as far as its size goes ; ) is a Gray Hairstreak (Strymon melinus) nectaring in a patch of clover I left growing around the back patio area.

Kim

#5154285 Report Abuse
    grannyfarmer
    grannyfarmer
    Participant

A red spotted admiral

Black swallowtail

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by grannyfarmer grannyfarmer.
    #5156847 Report Abuse

piggyers01
    Participant

Red Helen Butterfly

I am an Army spouse stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I took this picture in my front yard. This Red Helen Butterfly let me move it around so I could get a perfect picture.

#5156849 Report Abuse
    Harold Fisher
    Harold Fisher
    Participant

Baltimore Checkerspot

Baltimore Checkerspot

#5157117 Report Abuse
    AnnH
    AnnH
    Participant

Eastern Swallowtail

#5157130 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

I’m so envious of the Baltimore Checkerspot, Harfis01! I’ve tried to attract the BCB for years now. We have nearly every type of Turtlehead plant you can grow & the flowers  have multiplied throughout the years but still not even a passing glance of the Baltimore Checkerspot  here.

Nice picture!

#5157232 Report Abuse
    Lisa
    Lisa
    Participant

Swallowtail
    I took this last year from a butterfly bush in my yard. Unfortunately, we lost the bush this year, due to the extreme winter we had.

Lisa Brown-Hite

#5157234 Report Abuse
    Lisa
    Lisa
    Participant

I took this photo this year at the Albuqueque Bio Park, while visiting my mom.

Swallowtail

Lisa Brown-Hite

#5157273 Report Abuse
    Harold Fisher
    Harold Fisher
    Participant

Thank you.

The outdoor writer in the local paper did a story about seeing them at one of our Metro Parks. Went there the next weekend and was lucky enough to run into some people who had spotted the Checkerspots on the Turtlehead plants. Not sure I would have seen them.

There was a second smaller one on another plant just a foot or so from this one.

#5157994 Report Abuse

VeroBeach
    Participant

#5158523 Report Abuse
    Lisa
    Lisa
    Participant

Nice shot!

Lisa Brown-Hite

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.