Butterflys increasing

Home Forums Gardening Bugs and Butterflies Butterflys increasing

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Hiker07_IL_5 1 year ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

NewsletterMan
    Participant

I’m seeing more butterfly’s now that we’ve got warmer (no rain)  days.   Yellow/black swallowtails,  Large  brown ones w/colorful  dots (eyes)  on them.     I’ve NOT been able to get Milkweed to grow.  ????   Our soil is mostly clay and sandstones.  Our memosa trees are about bloomed out.  Butterfly’s love their blooms.  But the rain  stopped all of that.     NLM in SC Zn7

#4720822 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I have a lot in my yard & they’ve been here all summer.  Mostly Swallowtails.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4720808 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I see tons of the little white cabbage butterflies, but we have only seen maybe 4 or 5 others..  I got a few pictures and that is all.  My butterfly bush is finally blooming so hopefully some will be coming in soon…

Strange year for birds and butterflies..

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#4720866 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Hello NLM, Sharon & Gayle. I’ve been closely following the butterfly trackers & counts this year. It seems the consensus of those tracking butterflies is the same as yours NLM. While they all agree that the Monarch numbers are way down; many other types of butterflies counts are way up.

Personally, I’ve spotted 6 Silver Spotted Skippers; 5 Cabbage Whites; 1 Tiger Swallowtail & 1 Spicebush all at the same time in our very tiny yard. I tried to get a picture of them all together but was unsuccessful. We’ve seen many Swallowtails fly into the yard this year & several at the same time. We watched a desperate TS hold onto our Maple as it poured rain. I’ve spotted many butterflies flying about in pristine condition as well as tattered to shreds. I’ve watched birds pluck them out of the sky & bat them around on the ground. 

And this year is another first for me as I spotted  a  Spring/Summer Azure:-) They are unusual fliers to be sure & so tiny. But I would love to see a Buckeye in our garden/yard & also any other butterflies in the blue family.    

[quote user="NewsletterMan"] Large  brown ones w/colorful  dots (eyes)  on them.[/quote]

They sound like Buckeyes NLM; I’m so jealous;-)

#4723850 Report Abuse

Still no monarchs here in my part of Michigan, I have spotted a single Eastern tiger swallowtail, a single black swallowtail, a single Giant swallowtail.

Tons of cabbage whites.

Ron

http://www.gardening-for-wildlife.com

#4727030 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I’m stilling getting about one a day, today it was a huge yellow one. One day I actually had a black/blue one eating on the banana in the dish I made for them. My problem is the squirrels eat any fruit in it!

#4732264 Report Abuse

Leann_Chill
    Participant

Normal

false
    false
    false

FIL-PH
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:”";
    mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0in;
    mso-para-margin-right:0in;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0in;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:”Calibri”,”sans-serif”;
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Nice to know I’m not the only one who thinks the patterns
    seem wack. Usually at this time of the year I’d be seeing 5-6 butterfly
    varieties in our yard, but so far I’ve only seen two…

#4732330 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I’m still only getting one or two during the day, remember when I use to walk through swarms of them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.