Looking for right bush

Home Forums Gardening Look What I Made Looking for right bush

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Posynut_NY_zone4 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

wingrider6
    Participant

I’m beginning to think we are looking for something that doesn’t exist!

We need a bush to plant in an area that is about 50′ long but only 3′ wide. They will set in a “planter” along our drive, the planter is right along our property line. I don’t want the bush sticking into the drive nor too much into the neighbors yard.

We are looking for something that is narrow but tall, privacy is the key here. We do not want any kind of an evergreen, pine, or arborvitae. We’re looking for something woody like lilacs, rose of Sharon, etc. I don’t mind trimming if the bushes would still look OK.

We live in east central Illinois.

#4677569 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

These type of bushes are usually referred to as Pencil Shrubs.  There are different types;  Barberry  is one.  I don’t grow a lot of shrubs but google Pencil type shrubs or Pencil shrubs.  Also ask this question on the Gardening Forum.  I bet somebody over there will have some suggestions.

Also a lot more people visit that Forum or even Backyard Chat.  This Forum is kind of slow & you may not get many replies here.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4807423 Report Abuse

mememouse
    Participant

Try going to your neighborhood garden center,, they will help you find what your looking for,,

How about a flamingo Willow,,? You can trim it as much as you like, Here is a picture of the one we use to have but we have since moved from that home,,

this is what it looked like the first yr, we bought it ,,the other pics are a year later,, Its a fast grower, but like I say ,you can trim it to your liking, to make it taller too,,

And we lived in Maine so it can take the deep freezes,, And I have seen them in planters too,, they are very versatile. have seen them shaped into ball heads too.

#4808659 Report Abuse
    GiddeyUp
    GiddeyUp
    Blocked

Privet Hedge, (the green to the right in picture) …

photo 2.gif

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by GiddeyUp GiddeyUp.
    #4812564 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Meme, that is also called a Dappled Willow & they can get really big.  I’m forever trimming mine & its still pretty big.  I had two & one of the hurricanes took one out.   I even cut it almost back to the ground a couple of years ago & it’s gotten big again.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4822524 Report Abuse
    Sherry8___WI
    Sherry8___WI
    Participant

Weigela bushes are nice and the rose of Sharon…I like them because of the bees they attract here and the hummingbirds. Sorry no pictures because I dislike having to post from photobucket, etc. They both can be shaped and trimmed down to the size you want.

#5108819 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I have variegated willows but they get rather large.  You can prune them to the size you want yearly, though.  I have lilacs, too, and you can trim them.

I like burning bush but they are slow growing.  You could plant ornamental grasses and they grow fast and tall so would work for privacy.  You need to cut them back late Winter and then they regrow tall again.  I have several and they are nice and a gold/tan color all winter for interest.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.