thikig outside the box

Home Forums Gardening Look What I Made thikig outside the box

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by h2ogrdn h2ogrdn 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

birdwatcher10
    Participant

I saw a photo in an issue of birds & blooms of a clay pot that had one side cut out a bit and placed inside the pot and that section was filed with dirt and the other part of the clay pot was made to look like stairs I know this is a odd description of the pot but I would like to know if anyone knows what issue that was  in. I would like to look at it again but I can’t seem to find it! I hope some one can help!

birdwatcher10

#4660868 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

Are you talking about stacked pots….like these

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#4661287 Report Abuse

brb4y
    Participant

I use a 1/2″ or 5/8″ section of rebar for mine and also tip the first pot on a piece of brick. Sink the rebar into the ground about 2′ and it’ll handle a large load with high winds. Usually go 6 high with 10″ diameter pots. Last year I went to 5 high since the first good wind of the spring pushed over one stack and…I’m starting to get too short to reach that high… Usually plant hot peppers in them since I can get lots of plants in a very small space. Last year had 30 pepper plants in 6 square feet of space. This year won’t have as many since I’ve revamped some things and thinking of alternating flowers with veggies. Just feed the empty pots onto the rebar using the holes at the bottom of the pots. tip the first one on a brick and each one will tip on it’s own thereafter. Makes a super deal for flowers that will droop over the sides since you’ll have a high wall of blooms.

Brenda

#4661157 Report Abuse

nana weez 41nj
    Participant

how do they stay like that???

#4678738 Report Abuse
    Judith
    Judith
    Participant

I would love to do this with clay flower pots but it is so hot and dry here in Socal in the summer that I would be watering several times and day and if I forgot one day it would be the death of the plant.

Judith Barnett
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/67369030@N00/sets/72157622571845839/
    http://www.pbase.com/pooh4jvn/birds

#4679015 Report Abuse
    h2ogrdn
    h2ogrdn
    Participant

Using plastic pots with some of the water retention crystals might be a way to get around having to water each day.  Something to consider.

Fred in Western Montana

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.